Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm adding a single turbo to my 5.0. Its a late Explorer spec 5.0 with GT40P heads
The heads have never been off, engine has done just over 80000miles.

I have some valve springs from Alex's ready to drop in so i'm already tempted to pull the heads to make the job easier. I also have a new set of ARP head bolts on the shelf.
This is a budget build and I plan keeping boost to 10lbs. Do I pull the heads now or wait until the gaskets actually need replacing in the future?

Will the stock gaskets and head bolts hold boost? Or should I just bite the bullet now and go with the ARP bolts and Felpro 9333's. Should I forget bolts and go studs?

Whats your experience?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
103 Posts
Depends if the engine is out of the car or in the car. If it is out and you already have the bolts. Your maybe $50 for a set of gaskets and like you said slightly eaisier to swap springs then you have no worries.
If its in the car you just have to decide if you want to roll the dice. You might be fine for years or they might let go on the first hard pull. Your tune is a big factor in any of it if your tune isn't correct none of it will last. If your not looking to pinch every penny and have the bolts and time I say just go ahead and update them and it will make changing springs easier.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine is in the car, so I think I will roll the dice and hope it hangs together. It's probably good to have the gaskets as the weak link if I don't get the tune right first time!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts