Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sandy Vag Club
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 88 MAF converted with the smog eliminated (none by me). Over the winter I was cleaning up the front end and saw horrible iron deposits in the rad and overflow. I removed both and rigged up some piping to fill and flush it as I couldn't use hoses it was so cold.

After 3 weeks of flushing it was getting decent, just a slight yellow tinge. I had rigged up 3" Big O to go under the garage door about 6' long each. During runs I would flush cold, let it warm up, flush, and rev and flush. I saw some drips where the tailpipes bolts on but assumed with the -20 outside it was just condensation because of the long pipes. Every day I started it though the first 2 flushes would be darker brown, it would then clear up and repeat the next day.

Now its warming up I got it outside and hooked a hose up to the inlet of the water pump and let it flush for an hour. It was clear. Overnight I left it trickling through as it was getting cold. Today after work I increased the flow and it was yellow/brown again for a few mins, then clear. When I started the car with the fresh flush going in I got a burp of ugly iron then it cleared. It seemed business as usual.

I have the thermostat out and have used (3) of the ford Iron flushes. However today I saw it dripping from the clamps in front of the mufflers. Like a decent drip. So I've shut it down and pulled it back in.

Is the only place exhaust and coolant crossing paths in the head gaskets? I am a little surprised to see enough water to cause a drip when there is no sign that the cooling water is pressurizing itself or bubbling air out because exhaust gas is getting in.

Looking to confirm before I tear it apart.

·
Sandy Vag Club
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also to clarify it did not drip even after an overnight of flushing. Only once the car was started, so maybe it was pooling in the headers and the start moved the water back, or the water pump spinning added velocity to the water?

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
The only way coolant/water gets in the exhaust from the engine is either the head gasket is blown or the cylinder head is cracked.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Normal to have some condensation in the exhaust. So when I start mine I get a few drips out of the tips. Now if its alot or a huge puff constant white smoke, then gasket or crack.If you really think blown head gasket you can run a compression test on your cylinders.

·
Sandy Vag Club
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its dripping out of the inlet and outlet sides of the mufflers. I get no smoke though. I will do a compression check. I am thinking that I left the tubes outside for about a week and ran it every night, maybe I unknowingly caused so much condensation that it couldn't run out the tips and ran back into the mufflers? But I doubt it would get over the axle humps. Its very odd.

·
Registered
411 Posts
May want to do a leak down instead of compression. Leave the radiator cap on for one, off for another. Assuming the coolant is exposed to combustion gas from the cylinder, the test with the cap off should prove that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts