Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Corral Charter Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a Dynobatt for the past 3 years or so, and have been quite pleased with its performance. I bought it used, and despite its size, it lived pretty well for almost all 3 of those years. Over the last few months, it started getting to where it wouldn't hold a charge. While looking at prices and exploring options, I ran across a couple of threads talking about various alternatives. One was the Hawker Genesis, which I ended up ordering. Couldn't be happier. It is the same battery with different markings, and the price was almost half that of the Dynobatt. I ordered it from here: http://www.portablepower.com/Productpage.asp?ProductNum=37L105S1

For those interested, here is a link to the mounting bracket I made for my Dynobatt: http://members.cox.net/rdcosby1/images/battery/

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Thanks, Bob, this is a very useful thread. What kind of weight savings are we looking at?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have read that there is a 20lb.weight difference.What i would like to know is would you be able to tell adifference if so i would get one of these?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Good info, thanks for the heads up. (Adding it to my favorites list right now) This would be an ideal weight-saver for those that don't want to relocate the battery to the rear.

·
Registered
403 Posts
One more quick ??, did you order the SAE terminals, or did the batt come with the appropriate terminals?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Bob - Good choice. For the money, the Hawker is hard to beat.

Code001 said:
How's the charge hold for a daily driver?
Code - Be aware that it will drain down very quickly under load without the car running. My Hawker was in the car for almost two years. The only problem I had with it was that the alarm would drain it down if left on continuously for 4-5 days or if I left the door open or radio on for a short period of time (e.g., 5 minutes) without the engine running.

Here's a thread with some additional information/impressions >>> http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109394&highlight=hawker

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Well, I'm always afraid of my battery draining if I leave the car turned on but the engine isn't on. With daily driving around town, how bad will it be?

-Code

·
Corral Charter Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The battery weighs 13 lbs. A stock battery weighs well over 30, so it is a significant difference.

It does not come with the correct terminals. I took the ones off the old Dynobatt.

The battery WILL DRAIN if something is left on. It has plenty of cranking amps, but it has little reserve, and it will discharge quick with the radio, dome light, whatever. My used Dynobatt was a daily driver for a long time - you just have to be mindful of it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Bob, Good thread about 2 months late for me saving $$ I bought the Dyna-Bat back in Dec when there was a sale going on them. I am glad the lack of reserve capacity was brought up it might save me from missing a pass down the track! Since I cool my car between rounds with the electric fan and soon an electric water pump I will need an aux battery for that. Thanks for the heads up on the battery. Hope to see you at the track this year. Later. Dave @ H.O. Fibertrends chosen hood of the fast NA 4.6 Cobra's and mine also 11.968 @ 113.20 mph 3100 lbs with me IMRC's functioning stock eecV tune :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thanks for the info once again!

·
Registered
455 Posts
If anyone is interested, I have a Hawker battery with the SAE post that I used for 2 days. It seems like it would be a great battery, but at the time I was having to leave an aftercooler pump on to cool the aftercooler and it would drain the small battery. (At the dragstrip, between rounds) I ended up getting an Optima and have had it sitting around. Will sell for $55.00.

Sorry to use the thread to sell something, but at least it will save someone a few $.

Steve

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
I've had the hawker for over a year. The only problems I've had is what Dave said, if it's in the garage for 2+weeks connected to the car it will drain from the computer and the speedcal. Also make sure that the terminals are on there TIGHT or else it wont get a good charge. My positive terminal was loose for the first few months I had it and the car would start very slow. I thought the battery was a POS until I retightened the terminals. And I can definetly feel better weight transfer compared to my optima yellow top.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Why isn't this considered advertising? I've seen many threads locked with almost the same content..

Not that this isn't useful, but I just thought I'd mention that.

·
Corral Charter Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not trying to sell anything, nor am I connected in any way with the folks that make that battery. I don't see this as any different from someone posting about, say, a Vortech Supercharger, where he/she got it, how he/she liked it, etc.

That's just my opinion though. :)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
This had been some useful info for me. I had heard about a lighter battery and had made up my mind this would be one of my 'upgrades' within the next few weeks. This came at a perfect time for me - just before racing season. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
This had been some useful info for me. I had heard about a lighter battery and had made up my mind this would be one of my 'upgrades' within the next few weeks. This came at a perfect time for me - just before racing season. Thanks!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have had my hawker batt for almost a year. Daily driven. Car was down for 4 months and all I did was disconnect the neg cable. Fired right up when I finished it. It has also sat for a week at a time on several occasions w/ both terminals connected. Again, fired right up. And I have an aftermarket alarm. I also sit outside work everymorning listening to my aftermarket stereo for 15-20 min w/o the motor running and everyday after work, it starts up quick.

Good unit IMO.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts