Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reason i'm asking is because i changed my stocker pads with the Hawk street pads. I even cut the rotors. Problem is that they are squeaking like crazy. And i mean really loudly! I pulled the calipers again, cleaned the rotors and pads and put them back on. But i've got the same issue. Did i waste $90? Should i go get stocker pads?

Chris

·
Registered
34 Posts
Put some on mine three weeks ago. Love them. I had a friggin' squeak on my OEMs (which still had half of the pad left when I threw them across the garage) and haven't heard a peep out of the HPS Streets since they were installed. Based on my break pad research (leading up to buying the HPS Streets), I found very few complaints about noise. Did you get on them really good to break them in?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
So, what's the brake lube called? And how do you apply it? I'm interested...my brakes make noise as well.

VAiN

·
Registered
171 Posts
The "lube" is put on the back of the pad between it and the caliper piston. The majority of break squeak is produced from viberations between the piston and the back of the pad. Your local parts house will have some.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Can you recommend a specific brand? Thanks...

VAiN

·
Registered
765 Posts
Im sure you could find a couple different brands at NAPA, Pepboys, Discount, and other places like that. Good luck on the brakes.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I've got the Hawk Street Plus pads and they've never been noisy. My complaint is that they dust the worst of any pad I've ever used. They really don't stop that much better IMHO. Next time I'm going back w/ the OEM pad.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GeoSnake said:
I've got the Hawk Street Plus pads and they've never been noisy. My complaint is that they dust the worst of any pad I've ever used. They really don't stop that much better IMHO. Next time I'm going back w/ the OEM pad.
I concur. Not only am i squeaking, but it "dusts" like crazy. I was hoping it was just a 'break-in' thing...:confused:

·
Registered
726 Posts
I purcased OEM pads AND rotors for my car once the odometer hit 50,000 miles. The OEM pads have squealed like a beeotch since the day they were installed. My car just turned 70,000 miles and the pads still squeal.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have stock pads & rotors, and they squeek like crazy, unless my foot is on them. I hate it.

VAiN

·
Registered
241 Posts
What I noticed about the HPS pads is that they will not fade like stock pads when they get hot and you lay into them hard. I have powerlsots as well though, so results may vary.

On the track I run brembo solid rotors and hawk blue's , retina severing!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Don't get me wrong, the Hawk pads have been nice an quiet and do stop really well when hot, but I just can't get past the dusting. I have chrome wheels, which are usually easily cleaned. The dust off the Hawk pads "bakes" onto the wheel and is a SOB to clean.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I guess I'm not on the brakes as hard as you guys or somethin. I have one slight squeek if I'm barely touching the brakes, but as soon as I begin to stop normally it quiets down. I did use the brake pad lube just for kicks (was a $1 impulse buy at the counter at vatozone). I don't really notice the brake pad dust either. I might if I cleaned the car more often though. No complaints here.

Just one tip, don't forget to put the spring clips back in or it will start to squeel.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I haven't had squeakiness from either sets of pads (OEM or Hawk HPS), but the Hawk HPS pads produced a considerably larger amount of dust than the OEMs.

I now use OEM pads exclusively (well at least until I put the Aerospace brakes on) :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts