Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car idles around 800rpms, it will rev down to 5-6 then back to 8, then down, it will keep doing this and eventually die. I no the steps to fix this, clean iac, iab, 10 pin connectors, check tps, etc. today i went out and was going to start on it but im and idiot. The iab and iac is located on the tb right? How do i get them off, do they have gaskets, clean them with carb cleaner? Were do i check my TPS at, with koeo? if its not close to .97v how do i adjust it? Also, were is the 10 pin connector thing at? sorry for all the questoins, just want to get this fixed. thanks.
any pictures would be great.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
IAC is on the TB. use a socket to get the 2 bolts off. spray inside it with carb cleaner. then put it back on. if the gaskets rips use RTV.

check the TPS by using a volt meter. put the pos lead on the green wire. and the neg on the black wire. it should not be over or at 1v at idle. and should be over 4.5v at wide open throttle.

10 pins are behind the upper intake manifold. near the TB. take them apart and spray them with electrical cleaner. and if you need to bend the pins so they make contact better.

take care,
adam

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, thats what i needed to no. Were do u check the tps at? what if it isnt set right, how do i change it. thanks.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
If you go the corral's tech section you'll find a good article on setting the base idle. Follow that and the links to the TPS and the IAB cleaning and I think you'll be ok.

Hope this helps

Bill

·
Registered
545 Posts
The TPS is the black thing on top of the TB with 3 wires going into it. Get a volt meter and stick pins through the green and black. Turn the ignition to on (but the car off) and see what it says. To adjust it, unscrew it and file the screw holes some so you can angle the sensor differantly. It sounds like your idle just needs to be reset so follow the instructions on the corral tech area.

Nik

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Listen, here's the real deal on all of this:

DO NOT
try to fine-tune the TPS to 0.97, 0.98, 0.99, or anything. If it's lower than 0.95 then leave it alone. Higher than that and you risk getting into the computer's accelerator-pump enrichment strategy, and no, 1.0v has not a thing to do with it.

Use the Green and BLACK wires to test it, with the key on and the engine off.

The IAC and the IAB are different terms for the same thing. Idle Air Control, Idle Air Bypass, ISC or Idle Speed Control, etc. It's the cylinder bolted to the front of the throttle body. Take it off, clean it out thoroughly with carb cleaner, then when it's dry, spray some light, non-silicone lube in there becuase the carb cleaner will dry it out so much it may get sticky as a result. Don't worry about the gasket, it should stay just fine.

The 10-pin connectors are hard to get apart. Unnsap them from the manifold on the clip they ride on, then if necessary break the locking tabs to separate the body halves from each other.

Use a sharp pick or a very small screwdriver to distort the female ends of the connectors so they make a very secure connection. You'll probably really have to squeeze the connection to get it back together again...that's good.

·
Registered
545 Posts
MFE said:
Listen, here's the real deal on all of this:

Use the Green and BLACK wires to test it, with the key on and the engine off.

Doh! I meant green and black.

Nik

1 - 7 of 7 Posts