Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, from the day i got my car back from my friend who put the s/c on, i noticed that the belt was hanging half off the pulleys. well, i didn't have time to fix it b/c the following few days i was going to be getting it tuned. well, i pulled the head unit off, the two idler pulley's were in opposite spots. i noticed when i pulled the head unit off that the belt had been rubbing in 3 or 4 places on the block. do you guys think this was makeing me loose boost?
I haven't had time to put everything back on, but will have it on this weekend. let me know what your thoughts are.
thanks

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
429 Posts
i dont think id let your friend touch my car....:hammer::blam:

i would assume youre loosing boost, belt not totally on the pulleys probably means it was slipping...plus its creating a drag against everything...

hope ya get it fixed

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he put his on and it was fine, his is a paxton though. he did everything else great. just overlooked this part, which i have heard is farely common. reason i was asking is b/c right now i have the stock tires on it and with 4.10's its hard to get any traction down low to build the boost up. guess i'll find out for sure what kind of boost i have after i get the dr's on.
later

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
How much slack do you have?? Doesn't your Belt tensioner take up the slack? If there is less than half an inch of room left on the tensioner I would get a smaller belt!! But the Vortech kit should've come with a different belt.. didn't it? Mine did.....
There is not much of a difference between the Paxton and the Vortech as far as installation goes.. They are very similar and fairly easy to install....

When I swapped to my Bullit Intake I had to get a different Alternator spacer from Vortech and it sitll was rubbing the pulley a bit... So I had to shim it a little. No biggie really... My belt is pretty tight and the tensioner has plenty of tension. If you belt is too loose I wouldn't worry about loosing boost but that the belt may come off completely when you get on it... Most of the new ribbed belt don't slip unless there is a "Lot" of slack where the tensioner can't function properly....

Good Luck and I hope you get it straightened out..

Tom in Indy

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Are your pullies aligned? They should not rub the block. Are the bearings good on the tensioner pulley and the idlers? I would check that all carefully. Otherwise your belt wont last long. Make sure it is the right size. I always use a belt that just barely gets on.
Erich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts