Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys have Any of you ever had an Engine Bend a Hardened pushrod before??I bought a new Set of Comp Hardened pushrods when I built my new Engine and I am using AFR-185s with 3/8 studs and Guideplates..I drove the car Saturday for awhile, and Everything was Perfect..The car Ran Great, and the Rockers were Silent and made no noise like always...Went to a friends house, and he wanted to take a ride in the car since I put the S-Trim on, and we made a run down the Interstate bout an 1/8 of a mile and I spun the motor up to about 6000 rpms and let off the throttle at 120mph and Cruised to the next Exit at 60mph..After this quik spurt,the car still ran Perfectly...

Got back to my friends house,shut the car off.. Talked awhile and Started it up and the Drivers side Rocker arms were making a Chatter that I had never heard before..I got in and drove about 1/2 mile, and the car started Missing and Thrashing and it sounded like a Rockerarm Stud had Broken off..The rocker chatter was LOUD..Had to Tow the car home and Pulled the drivers side Valve cover off, and my #6 Exhaust Rocker arm was Hitting the flat round Valve retainer instead of the Valve Tip..I thought the Rocker may have Loosened up but it was WAY tight so WTF could have caused this Hardened pushrod to Bend like this??Just a Bad pushrod made on Monday or Friday?:confused: Im gettin ready to order a set of Trick flow Chromoly Pushrods and hopefully this wont happen again..Any of you guys have this happen to you before??If so WTF caused it to Bend???:confused: ??

Jeff

·
Registered
457 Posts
did the valves float and contact the piston????that last pic looks like me in the morning .lol, just a little sick humor!! good luck hope it all works out!!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
LOL i was thinken the same thing..haha...:lol:

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
obviously something is not right with your valvetrain geometry.

lets start with..
did you check for the right pushrod lenght?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine used to bend because my springs were not strong enough and the valves floated, no problems since I put better valve springs in.

Dan

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have ran this engine for probably 2000 miles,and its been through 2 dyno cessions..The Cam I have is only 500-510 lift and 294-292 duration so its not hitting the Piston..The Pistons I have are good to about .620 lift and Im nowhere near close to that..AND it Did this at an IDLE..I was not even in the RPM range at all....My Valvetrain Geometry is Perfect..IF the valves were floating and making contact with a piston it would have been on a WOT run not at an Idle AND it would have bent Multiple Pushrods and not this single one....... I think this Pushrod was made on a Monday or Friday..:rolleyes:

Jeff

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I see you got the cheap $37 buck jobbys?! Shure you can bend them..

Get a set of Comp .090 thick ones peice pushrods, And if there setup right and are the right lengh I garentee you will no bend them again.. Oh And there $90.00 bucks!

·
Registered
718 Posts
My pushrods where like 120 bucks for my comp chrome molly ones

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just Last night( monday night) ordered a set of Trick Flow Chromoly one piece pushrods..They were around $90 from Summit and they have the .080 wall thickness..I bought the first set of $hitty Comp Hardened pushrods but they were just Hardened and NOT Chromoly rods..Hopefully the trick flow Pushrods will Keep things together alot Better than the Comp pushrods did..I should have known in the Beginning to go with the Best Chromoly pushrods available but you know how that goes..:mad: Hind sight is 20/20..Oh BTW, Let this be a lesson to ANY of you reading this Thinking on Skimping on Pushrods for your Motor.Get the best Pushrods the first time or it WILL Bite you in the Arss....Hopefully it will be back together This weekend!:D

Jeff

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I bent my #6 just a week ago. Brand new engine. Didn't even have the blower belt on yet. My was caused by the rocker coming loose (came loose cause the rocker stud going into the had came loose.)
(This was a comp cams hardened rod.)

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sean90GT said:

Lesson number three: KEEP YOUR CAR PARTS OFF OF THE KITCHEN TABLE! :D
:D Sean, That is the Kitchen Counter not the Kitchen Table so :p

Bishop,

Was it your #6 Exhaust pushrod that bent??Thats the one that bent in mine..Hope it never happens again..

Jeff

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had a hardened pushrod bend on me, my guideplates were able to slide around on the rocker studs. (i fixed that problem) but there was too much side loading on the pushrod from being offset too far to the side on the valve tip. make sure alignment is perfect

1 - 13 of 13 Posts