Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys have Any of you ever had an Engine Bend a Hardened pushrod before??I bought a new Set of Comp Hardened pushrods when I built my new Engine and I am using AFR-185s with 3/8 studs and Guideplates..I drove the car Saturday for awhile, and Everything was Perfect..The car Ran Great, and the Rockers were Silent and made no noise like always...Went to a friends house, and he wanted to take a ride in the car since I put the S-Trim on, and we made a run down the Interstate bout an 1/8 of a mile and I spun the motor up to about 6000 rpms and let off the throttle at 120mph and Cruised to the next Exit at 60mph..After this quik spurt,the car still ran Perfectly...

Got back to my friends house,shut the car off.. Talked awhile and Started it up and the Drivers side Rocker arms were making a Chatter that I had never heard before..I got in and drove about 1/2 mile, and the car started Missing and Thrashing and it sounded like a Rockerarm Stud had Broken off..The rocker chatter was LOUD..Had to Tow the car home and Pulled the drivers side Valve cover off, and my #6 Exhaust Rocker arm was Hitting the flat round Valve retainer instead of the Valve Tip..I thought the Rocker may have Loosened up but it was WAY tight so WTF could have caused this Hardened pushrod to Bend like this??Just a Bad pushrod made on Monday or Friday?:confused: Im gettin ready to order a set of Trick flow Chromoly Pushrods and hopefully this wont happen again..Any of you guys have this happen to you before??If so WTF caused it to Bend???:confused: ??

Jeff

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
I did too, but it was my fault as I forgot to tighten 2 rockers

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tached,

all of my Rockers were Adjusted and Torqued Perfectly..I have been told that this pushrod was probably made on a Monday or Friday..:rolleyes: Which Pushrods do all of you guys like the best as far as Strength?I sure dont want to go through this again..:mad:

Jeff

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Mine were comp, and I replace those bent ones with the same kind and have not had any more problems thus far 14,000 miles and counting since...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Those hardened pushrods are OK, but you can see the tips still have the balls on the end. Those arent' one piece pushrod. I actually don't believe those are too much better than stock. Now, if you've ever seen a set of Manley pushrods, it's a totally different story. That's what I use. They are one piece. So it's like one piece of thick steel, I dnt' think those will ever bend.

The two don't even compare.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
being hardened pushrods dont mean they wont bend any easier then non hardened ones, it just means they wont wear out when rubbing up against guideplates

·
Registered
544 Posts
Man mike, u got a lot of posts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts