Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ram air scoop, I think it's a March brand scoop. That's all I have, if I used it, I'd rig up something to the stock aribox I guess. It's a daily driver, but I also don't mind cleaning the filter at every oil change. Engine is standard H/C/I, maybe ~300rwhp. Thanks,

Billy

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would try it, nothing to lose. Try to find a way to seal it to the airbox, that's the key. I think the power gains come from pressurizing the airbox with ram air. I see alot of drag cars in MMFF that have a ramair setup, plus all the crotch rockets use ramiar now, and they gain close to 10HP on the highend with it, so the concept is good.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
No experience with it, but all I've heard is that they pick up leaves rocks water...blah blah blah...bugs...squirl.....

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I've heard that stuff too... I don't mind clenaing the filter often, as long as often means about every 3000 miles. I drive mostly highway miles...

·
Registered
569 Posts
I bought the Mach ram air with the scoop that goes under the bumper and then ducts into the air box. I hated it scrapes on everything and it just looks cheap and kind of bulky. I also didn't notice a power increase. It’s very hard to find a hose that'll fit the scoop also. The hose that comes with the kit is like a flexible corrugated rubber hose and its not very smooth inside so any power increase would be in spite of the duct hose. If you drive through a puddle and any water gets inside of it your MAF sensor goes crazy until the filter dries out, and believe me with as low as the scoop is it is very easy to pick up water. Try it and see if you like it, it may work for you just fine, that’s just my personal experience with it. :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
I ment March brand air ram kit, I bought it with the kit and pullies too.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point on the water in the MAM. I know sucking up water can hydrolock the cylinders, but that's alot of water. Sucking up just a little bit of water mist could screw up the MAM I'd think. Very good point. Overall I've heard more negatives than positives.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
I made my own, and used it for many years. It was a PITA sometimes, but it got the job done. This was on a speed density car, and I never took it off or plugged it when it rained.

·
Registered
297 Posts
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!

I had a KENNE BELL RAM air system that I had installed in California. Well I moved to Mass. a few years back and in a heavy rain sucked up a CRAP load of water and blew my 50K mile motor. It was awful, ended up S curving two rods and all the oil was gone.

BAD idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts