Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I just found this site yesterday and coincidentally that's when I got my new GT. My question is how much HP can the stock 4.6 take before you have to modify it? I heard 500-550 before it starts doing damage.

The other question I have is, I am selling my 03 yamaha raptor (if anyone here wants it) and i'll have some money to dump into the motor, do i need a turbo to get to the limit of the 4.6L block??? This car will be an every other day driver also and I dont' want to hop it up to much to where the motor will suffer.

I guess to make a long question short----- If any of you had 5k to spend to get to 500 hp how would you do it and what are the best products??? sorry for the newbie questions but I thought you guys could help...

Thanks

·
4,289 Posts
Turbo 2V cars seem to be breaking when you push around 450rwhp or so, I think it is actually the torque that is killing them but most people remember the rwhp numbers for some reason. Personally if all I had was 5k to spend, I would lower my goals. Because it will take at least a $3k shortblock and then a stronger tranny and rear end to make and sustain your current goals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys, even if its lower numbers. Thats ok. So you dont' even think the stock standard tranny and stock rearend will handle 450 hp??? that sux. So to get to the limit of the stock motor what else would you put besides; cold air, heads, cam, chip, and exhaust??? do you think I could hit 425-450 with some combo of the above??? I"m at high altitude too so it will take a little more to get there than you lucky guys at sea level. Thanks again for taking time to read and reply...

Jared

·
4,289 Posts
Dunno, the high altitude throws things off on how I normally look at them.

The stock rear end could handle the power, assuming you do not run on slicks and launch it hard a lot. The tranny will not handle it for long nor would the clutch, best to sell them while they work and are worth money. Personally I would get a turbo kit for around the $5k figure, drive it nice until I had the tranny/clutch swapped out and then go from there. Try to keep a nice tune in the car to prevent the rods from breaking premature and save up for the built shortblock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, I have a bigger budget than 5K but I was hoping I could find a good setup that some of you have used for a little cheaper. I don't want to have to keep going back in and adding things so I think I might just do it how I envisioned it in the first place and get it done up right... Thanks again...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I would do the turbo. You'd regret it if you realized you had the chance, but didn't take it.

Anyone can do a rear end for ya.. trannies are easy to swap in and out.

Honestly, if you went easy on the car, you won't break anything. Hard drag strip launches will kill the differential quick though (on slicks/drag radials), and eat the tranny soon after. Happened to me..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Streetracer said:
I would do the turbo. You'd regret it if you realized you had the chance, but didn't take it.

Anyone can do a rear end for ya.. trannies are easy to swap in and out.

Honestly, if you went easy on the car, you won't break anything. Hard drag strip launches will kill the differential quick though (on slicks/drag radials), and eat the tranny soon after. Happened to me..
I would have to agree even though I went somewhat overboard with the mods. I had a V2 S-trim and loved it, but was never completely happy with it. TDC came out with the turbo kit and I ordered the first T-76 kit released at just about cost. I thought the entire time, I wish I had waited. I had a budget of about 20K to work with though. If I just wanted to spend 5K for a nice street setup, I would get a Saleen blower, full exhaust, gears, HD clutch and have fun with it. Once you start pushing the boost and power, things start breaking and then you need to strengthen those parts and it never ends.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
wesleythomas77 said:
you could build up your drive train and engine to handle a huge shot of nos for pretty cheap...
I agree ... but if you want a turbo soo bad keep in mind the other expenses that come with this project:

- Turbo
- Piping
- K-Member
- Coil-overs
- Suspension
- Trans
- Clutch
- Rear End
- Forged Internals
- Fuel Upgrade
- Tuning

and plenty of other upgrades that are necessary ... good luck!

·
4,289 Posts
Wanting one and needing one are two different things though. One could easily turbocharge a car with kits on the market without doing a tubular k-member then come back later and do one. I guess it is a matter of how much money one wants to spend in one shot.

If $6k is the budget and I had to have a turbo, then I would get a Turbolocity kit for $5k(sale pricing) and then I would save the $1k until it turns into around $1.5k and then sell the stock tranny and use the total founds to buy a better tranny/clutch. Fuel needs should be bet by the pump included with the kit, although personally I think they should follow PTK's lead and use a 03 Cobra setup, something you can put in instead of the pump Turbolocity includes but at a offset cost of course.

If you can scrape more than $6k then you could throw PTK in as a option, as per their site pricing it looks like it would be around $6500 with turbo and ceramic coating, then remember you need to get the car aligned after swapping in all the D&D suspension and I noticed Wesley said he needs a AC line installes so maybe a AC discharge/recharge cost too, so I would probably budget $7k assuming you do installs yourself.

·
4,289 Posts
I would think so(only based on the experience we had with a front mount setup on a 928), but only time is really going to tell if that would be a issue. There was a thread on here that, that very thing was discussed in there as maybe being an issue and maybe not. Really there are going to be a lot of variables there, like the weather the car is in, how the person drives and so on.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Call up Brad at turbolocity and talk to him about one of the turbo kits he has for the new modular engines. They had a guy with a bone stock 95 cobra with a chip and injectors with 8 psi push out 460 rwhp. They seen crazier results with modular engines.

If your thinking sc, don't because they just don't compre to a turbo and i know if your serious about power you'll just switch to a turbo later. And as for turbos, turbolocity's price is about par with the other brand names but the quality and fit is much much higher.

I used to have a cartech kit, nothing fit right. Since snipe656 has his car at turbolocity too i'm sure he can verify what I have just said.

(217) 443-1984

Tell Brad George sent ya.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool, Thanks agian for all the info... so i checked out the 2v street kit on the net... 490 ft/lb, can the stock stuff handle that??? I'm not a racer by any means so it won't be seeing constant action at the peak power output. My other question is do they have somewhere where the install turbos on customer cars because i'm not a mechanic either and i would feel more comfortable with pro's doing it and to be under a warranty also. Does the kit come with everything needed or does the motor need heads and cams, etc.???

·
4,289 Posts
It comes with everything you need to run it on a stock car. I personally would opt to ommit the fuel pump it comes with and go with a 03 Cobra tank/pump setup though. I would probably tune it more down to like 450rwtq if using it on a stock motor, those rods are just too weak.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts