Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be converting the door and quarter panels in my Cobra to the two tone style like in the '94-'96 Mustangs.

I was thinking about removing the panels and just using black dye to paint the upper portions of all the panels. Has anyone done this and how did the panels turn out? Which dye did you use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Good question. I want to convert my Reese Cup (Black/saddle brown) interior to complete black.

Also, do I need to worry about my armorall protectant messing the dye up? Is there a good cleaner to use before hand?

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I didn't use black dye. Sorry I can't answer your question.

But...

You do use dye for interior panels. Texas Mustang has the correct colors. First, you clean and degrease the panel to get stuff like silicone (ArmorAll) off or it will fisheye. Some folks use engine degreaser. It will take some color, but you are dying it.

Also, get the dye prep from Texas Mustang.

Texas Mustang Parts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Check the website by latemodel Restoration Supply www.50RESTO.com This company has everything you need foe your stang. I use simple green to clean interior or even degrease the motor.

Later,

Dawg

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did it and was very surprised the way it turned out for me. Just be sure to prime any plastics first and scrub the hell out of the painting surface with a good soap not degreaser. I'll post pics of mine when I get the chance. Be sure to use vinal paint that you can pick up at Auto Zone or get it out of the catalog at 5.0 Resto.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you want a dye this may work on vinyl also. ESQUIRE instant coloring, you'll find it at a shoe and leather goods repair shop. It's $6.95 for 1.0 FL OZ each, cleaner and coloring. Available it many colors.
I had the drivers lower seat replaced under warranty and it was lighter than orginal. Conditioners were a temp fix.
A friend had used this on Saddle bags of his Harley. It has been fine for two seasons. I tryed it just before winter storage. Very simple to use, I used two coats on seat and one on back and sides. I liked the result, but can not comment on ware till summer. If works well with conditioners I will do the other three. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts