Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone here bypassed using an H or X pipe and just put straight pipes from the headers to the mufflers? first of all, can this be done, and if so is it street legal? also would this free up more HP then using an H or X pipe?

I was thinking of trying something different, but wanted to see if it would work out.

Thanks
:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Anything that removes or bypasses the catalytic converters (on your H-pipe) is NOT street legal. Most aftermarket H or X pipes WITH cats are legal.

I'd say that it isn't a very good idea. The H and X pipes connect the 2 exhausts together at that point to improve scavenging (exhaust being sucked out the heads due to heat/pressure differences in the exhaust).

Without the H or X you wouldn't have this effect.

Running open headers has also been shown to decrease power.

·
Registered
61 Posts
IJCOBRA said:
Anything that removes or bypasses the catalytic converters (on your H-pipe) is NOT street legal.
i don't think that's what he meant. however, there wouldn't be anything illegal about removing the crossover in favor of plain pipe.
but you're right, there is no reason to eliminate the crossover. old cars had pipe from the manifolds to the muffs. the crossoover was developed for the very reason IJcobra is talking about.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wasnt going to eliminate all the cats. was just was just going to have i guess you can call it straight pipes from the cats to the mufflers. judging by what you guys said, better to use the H or X.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I ran two seperate 2.5" pipes with high flow cats to 2 chambers flowmasters. I did not like the sound of it, it crackled a lot when you let off. I has a H welding in and it sounded deeper and quiter at idle. Could really tell any hp difference but the car was stock then too.
I wouldn't ever try that again, stick to the X pipes if you want a different sound...

And open headers are faster in the right application and when proper length is installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts