Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has actually measured where the piston top of a stock motor is in relation to deck surface.
Stock 90 block is supposed to have 8.206" deck heigth with 5.09" rods, 3" crank and pistons comp height of 1.605". This gives me a piston top that sits .011" in hole but I rebuilt the stock bottom end this weekend and my pistons sits ever so slightly out of hole? Anyone else see this or do I have some dimensions off? This is the original motor from car and I'm only owner so I know it's never been apart.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Joe, I never actually measured but with my complete stock bottom end the piston was slightly out of the hole. So I assume that it is normal for a stock dimension bottom end.

·
Registered
888 Posts
BTW- Just noticed you sig, what happen to your 331? Wasn't that a fairly recently built motor??

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5150 LX all I know is she lost oil pressure, I've been a string of the worst luck possible last year or so. Have my fingers crossed that 2003 changes all of that.

Do you know if the specs I have for stock stuff is right?

1.605" piston comp hgt
8.206" deck height
5.09" rod length

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Joe, your motor is pretty typical of a real world 5.0 engine, not a spec. Most from the factory came with zero deck height or slightly positive numbers. I think Ed Hohenberg posted the same comments previously also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts