Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question.
I'm looking at picking up a set of Corbeau CR1's with fox tracks locally for $500 for the pair for my car.
What are my options on a harness with the seats?
I do not have a roll bar and really have no plans to put one in the car, and my stock seat belts are trash anyways so I figure I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone right there.
Is my only option to really just put in a 4 point cage with a harness bar? Or has anyone else done anything different?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Quick question.
I'm looking at picking up a set of Corbeau CR1's with fox tracks locally for $500 for the pair for my car.
What are my options on a harness with the seats?
I do not have a roll bar and really have no plans to put one in the car, and my stock seat belts are trash anyways so I figure I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone right there.
Is my only option to really just put in a 4 point cage with a harness bar? Or has anyone else done anything different?
i have the C4s in my 88 hatch with no cage. all you have to buy is the harnesses from them that clip to the rear seat belts. go the their website or call them.
http://corbeau.com/products/harness_belts/2-inch_double_release_harness_belts/ they are $89

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a rear seat delete in my car, so no rear seat belts.

Someone told me that Corbeau also makes a harness that bolts directly to the B-pillar?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If you have a rear seat delete, then just have a proper harness bar fabbed up. Cheap and easy.

It took a buddy of mine about 2 hours to fab this from scratch and we were going slow. He has his own welder and we just measured twice, cut once, welded, test installed, removed, painted, and watched the paint dry. If someone were to really put some time into making one, they could make one a lot nicer. This thing is solid as hell though. It's fabbed out of 8 feet of 1/4" * 2.5" flat and 5 feet of 1.5" .120 wall tubing. Bolts into the stock seat belt bolt mounting holes. Cost $22 in steel.

During my move from Texas to Boston, it came in handy as a clothes hanger rack. :rofl:

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
If you don't plan on having at least a 4 point roll bar, use your stock set belts. This has been covered many times. A 5 or 4 point harness is designed to keep you from moving in the seat, a roll bar is designed to keep the roof from caving in. If you don't use a roll bar and have a harness in your car and you end up on the roof you have no where to go but get crushed. The stock seat belts are designed so if the roof gets crushed your body moves to the center of the car and you can avoid getting crushed. You willing to take a chance on your life just to look cool? Do your self and us a favor and use stock seat belts until you get a roll bar.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have a rear seat delete, then just have a proper harness bar fabbed up. Cheap and easy.

It took a buddy of mine about 2 hours to fab this from scratch and we were going slow. He has his own welder and we just measured twice, cut once, welded, test installed, removed, painted, and watched the paint dry. If someone were to really put some time into making one, they could make one a lot nicer. This thing is solid as hell though. It's fabbed out of 8 feet of 1/4" * 2.5" flat and 5 feet of 1.5" .120 wall tubing. Bolts into the stock seat belt bolt mounting holes. Cost $22 in steel.

During my move from Texas to Boston, it came in handy as a clothes hanger rack. :rofl:
That's actually pretty nifty. I did some searching last night and found out Corbeau has pre-orders for a bolt-in harness bar coming out in April so I may just go with that.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/CS-HB7993M/1979-93-Corbeau-Mustang-Harness-Bar

If you don't plan on having at least a 4 point roll bar, use your stock set belts. This has been covered many times. A 5 or 4 point harness is designed to keep you from moving in the seat, a roll bar is designed to keep the roof from caving in. If you don't use a roll bar and have a harness in your car and you end up on the roof you have no where to go but get crushed. The stock seat belts are designed so if the roof gets crushed your body moves to the center of the car and you can avoid getting crushed. You willing to take a chance on your life just to look cool? Do your self and us a favor and use stock seat belts until you get a roll bar.
I never said anything about looking cool? I was just asking if there was a way to do it..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Man I like that, although why not just go ahead and put a 4pt in at this point? I guess what you have is easier to install and uninstall if need be, I think maybe I just answered my own question.:)

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I used Cobreau 3 point belts with the release latch, I secured the rear loop to the OEM rear selt belt mounting brackets. It passed tech at Bonneville, the drag strip, and open track events?

Now have a cage in it and will be getting my harness's wrapped around it instead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts