Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, last week I noticed the tranny becoming more difficult to put in gear. Ended up being stranded with a snapped clutch cable. It snapped about 6 inches away from the interior end. I went to Autzone and bought a stock replacement, installed it, and everything was perfect. Now, a week later, I notice it being hard to put in gear again. Could the cable have stretched? From what I can see it looks fine on both ends. I made sure to put the rubber gromet back into the firewall so the cable couldnt be rubbing on it. Im guessing it has to be the cable. There is an aftermarket fms clutch and an unknown brand quadrant which were on the car when I got it. Do I need a stronger cable? What else should I check? fluid level? Just looking for ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
419 Posts
are you using the stock platic quadrant under the dash ? After hard use the teeth wear away and will cause adjustment issues but it deff sound like your clutch is not fully disengaging.

·
Registered
224 Posts
could your first cable have snapped because of a stiff clutch, and the new cable just delayed the problem?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its an aftermarket quadrant. I thought about the "stiff" clutch causing the cable to stretch, but the first cable lasted a very along time and there were no problems until a week ago? :confused:

·
Registered
320 Posts
full length headers on the car? you could be burning cables up?! also, it could be a clutch problem itself. i had an old centerforce in my car when i bought it, i installed a new SPEC clutch when i had the engine out over the winter, I LOVE the clutch, and im using my old cable (which is adjuatable) and i have no problems getting into gear anymore. with the old clutch (i dont know why i had a problem like that cause of a clutch, someone chime in if you know) i had problems trying to get in gear from a traffic light, many times i would get frustrated, finally slam the car into gear and leave a 1-2-3 slab down the road, so my tires suffered too:) i would check to see if you are burning it up (if u have longtubes) also i would replace the quadrant if it is made out of anything besides some type of metal. most quadrants are anodized if they are of quality.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No longtubes, just shorties. I hope its not the clutch, when I put the new cable in, everything was perfect, so hopefully im just messin up cables, or I need to get another adjustable one. I'll pull the cable out today and check it for burns/stretches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts