Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got my 347 together2 weeks before the 4th and went to the track on the 6th. I ran a best of [email protected] The combo is in my sig. It is the same as before ecept I changed to a 347, typhoon intake, 70mm Tb and spacer and Pro-m 75mm maf and 24# injectors. Last year I went 15 flat @93mph. I had a horrible traction problem this time out as I was on street tires. The track is around 6000 ft. alt. and it was a hot crappy day. I was running pretty close to what the Lightnings were running (14.20s)
I still would like to get a dyno tune done, as it sets I just plugged everything in and ran off the stock computer. I would like to get some decent heads in the next year, what do guys guys think I should use?
Thanks,

·
Registered
349 Posts
Get some decent heads on there and your times will DROP. Those e7's don't work on a 302, yet alone a 347. Otherwise, good job keeping up with the lightnings. Adam

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
even with the e7 heads your times should be alot lower....whatsyour trap speed and 60 ft. times??

·
Registered
35,057 Posts
Don't worry too much about the times just yet - 6000 ft and hot/humid conditions take their toll. As others have said, you need more head. AFR185's are what I'd take a look at; and your cam could be MUCH more effective - I'd go with a custom. The E and most off the shelf cams are designed for 302 cubes; your 347 reacts totally differently to cam choices because of the extra displacement - get something that's designed for your combo. At the very least, start thinking in terms/talking to folks about cams for a "351" when you select your next one.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I hope your not telling people that you have a 347 under the hood. Let's keep that a secret for now.

I will never understand or agree with people who use small parts on a stroker motor. They will tell you drivability, blah blah blah.....You can get all of that with a good custom cam. They will tell you money. Unless they got the crank rods and pistons for free, that is crap too. I am just giving you a little flame here because the year is 2003, and you had the nerve to put stock heads and a stock intake on a 347. Somebody, kill me now, please.......

I am gonna go out on a limb, and say your probably running an AOD with stock convertor, or shifting your T-5 around 4900-5000 rpms. Please, which one is it.

OK, I am ready to help now that that is out of my system! #$%#$ :mad:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Those times are not bad for 6000ft elevation. Where in NE are you racing? I did not know they had elevation that high out there. I am in CO and I race at two tracks one at 4900ft and one at 5800ft. I still think you have alot more left in that combo once you get some heads, and possibly a better cam. I am looking at doing that CHP shortblock or the SCAT 347 kit, some AFR 185's and that typhoon intake polished.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Maybe its a convertable :p

I shouldn't be talking smack, I have ported E-7's with 190's 160's on my 347. For Now
When my money recovers I was 185 AFR's
I haven't had mine to the track but now I'm not sure I want to. LOL

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BigMike said:
I hope your not telling people that you have a 347 under the hood. Let's keep that a secret for now.

I will never understand or agree with people who use small parts on a stroker motor. They will tell you drivability, blah blah blah.....You can get all of that with a good custom cam. They will tell you money. Unless they got the crank rods and pistons for free, that is crap too. I am just giving you a little flame here because the year is 2003, and you had the nerve to put stock heads and a stock intake on a 347. Somebody, kill me now, please.......

I am gonna go out on a limb, and say your probably running an AOD with stock convertor, or shifting your T-5 around 4900-5000 rpms. Please, which one is it.

OK, I am ready to help now that that is out of my system! #$%#$ :mad:
Well, I had an oil pump lock up at a time when I did not have the finances, but I needed the car(daily driver), since I had to replace the rods, crank and pistons I went with the 347 figuring I could change the other stuff later with a lot less hassle. The intake is not stock, nor the injectors,TB,MAF,exhaust, etc.. just the heads, They have been ported and flow about the same as the gt40s do stock. Its a T-5 and I shifted @ 6000-6300. Remember 2 these elevations things dont make the same numbers.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KickerStang said:
Those times are not bad for 6000ft elevation. Where in NE are you racing? I did not know they had elevation that high out there. I am in CO and I race at two tracks one at 4900ft and one at 5800ft. I still think you have alot more left in that combo once you get some heads, and possibly a better cam. I am looking at doing that CHP shortblock or the SCAT 347 kit, some AFR 185's and that typhoon intake polished.
It was at Bandamiere, I dont think they are quite 6000 but pretty close. The guy I was pitted with was runninig a moded 2003 lightning with slicks and he was turnning 14.20s the mph I dont recall, He taked to someone there with a weather station that said with the weather that day it was like racing close to 8000 ft. ? who knows.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gizmodadog55 said:

I shouldn't be talking smack, I have ported E-7's with 190's 160's on my 347. For Now
When my money recovers I was 185 AFR's
I haven't had mine to the track but now I'm not sure I want to. LOL
Nope its a hatch.

·
Registered
892 Posts
You definately are shifting a bit to high. 5200 is more like it at most. With 3.73 gears?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Class85GT said:
You definately are shifting a bit to high. 5200 is more like it at most. With 3.73 gears?
3.55s. andthe factory tach, I have heard they read like 300 to 500 rpm higher then actual, is this correct?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You're definitely shifting way too high. With that pos e cam and stock heads (!!!!) on a 347 your power peak is probably below 5000 rpm.

The elevation is killing your times. Even at sea level though that thing probably wouldn't do better than a high 12 on slicks.

gizmodadog55 said:
Verts don't have to be slow. ;)

·
Registered
519 Posts
I know, mines not ;)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
With a hot day at that elevation you were probably up around 8000 ft. corrected altitude, robbing about 20% of your power output. I just took a shot in the dark at conditions with 90 degrees, 70% humidity, and 29.85 bp, with those conditions you correct to 12.16 @ 113.3. Not great, but not bad considering the mismatched combination.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have been 6.30 on home ported edlebrock perfomer 1.90-1.60 valves, gt40 intake, 75mm mass air, 65mm throttle body, off the shelf cam, and some gas.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts