So things kind of went off the rails with this project a bit before Christmas. In searching for a nice K24 to swap into this ****pile I stumbled on a new on pallet 4 Piston Racing Kt1000. This is a built K24 block with a k20 head on it. Its built for boost and lot of it. It was local to me up in seattle and a ****pile more money than I was expecting to spend but its setup to run 4 digit power numbers and I like that idea.
So while up in Seattle for Christmas I grabbed a bunch of cash and picked that up.
Bellhousing to adapt the K24 to the Ford Tremec was on backorder due to ship on the 10th of January. The 12th of January the shipping date was moved out to March or April so I had to go another route.
Picked up a new Tremec GM TKX. Good to 600 Ft. Lbs and 7,800 RPM shifts. I had a GM 621 Bellhousing already and that mated the two up pretty nicely. Parts have been trickling in, this thing is gonna be one bad chicken this time around.
Got to work a few weeks back yarding all the old out and was left with this.
Did a little clearancing on the block for the starter and got to work assembling some of the bad assery. Adapter is from FABBOT Fabrication, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, ARP Hardware.
The biggest hurdle so far has been the stupid front sump oil pump and not a great work around. I did round one of oil pan surgery but it wasnt enough so this is round two, it was much more extensive. This is the 7 qt Moroso Road Race K24 oil pan. You can kind of see that I had to make a recess in the pan for the steering rack, I removed the trap door modified the pan then rewelded in the baffle and checked for all clearances. Its tight but its in there.
With the engine in its final location I was able to come up with some engine mounts. I wanted to keep something poly as I wanted it to be some what smooth in the car so I tossed in the stock Mustang mounts and built off of those. I might redo these down the road but these will work for now.
Was super stoked to get this all bolted up. Just missing a clutch disc and Hydro Throwout bearing at this point and it can get bolted together for good.
First time seeing it in the car with the intake plenum on it.
The front pulley on the engine is about 8" farther back in the chassis than the 302 was. I moved the engine as far back as I could. Engine is tall but hood still closes. Engine angle is a little more than I wanted but it will be totally fine for operation. Frame of reference, the entire engine is behind the hood louvers...
Intake is from KMiata and clears the firewall and booster just fine. Might have an issue with the hydro master for the clutch but we shall see in the next few days.
Header is from BMF Fab and is a custom piece, external wastegate setup for a TIAL XONA turbo. We spec'd the smaller turbo for track days so should be a grea performer and will top out power about 650 wheel on e85. Turbo is full custom and should ship Feb 1. TIAL Wastegate, Water cooled turbo, BOV etc. Radium Fuel Rail and rail mounted Regulator, 1700 CC Injector Dynamics injectors. Coyote Electronic Throttle pedal, Porsche 996 Electronic Throttle body, GM FLex Fuel Sensor, HALTECH 1500 elite ECU and wideband.
I have all the connectors to start on the harness soon, going to be building the harness from scratch with a friends help but going full boogy on that as well with all Raychem stuff.
I have been having almost zero luck uploading photos through IMGUR but got these few to load so thought I would update the thread.
Hope you all like it, or hate it......either way, there is no doubting this is hotrodding =)