Ford Mustang Forums banner
241 - 256 of 256 Posts

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
That flowkooler pump still working out for you? This thread came up in a search. My Fancy Edelbrock one just **** the bed with only 5k street miles in a year. Not not blowing $255 on another one. I need something good with track use.
Absolutely zero issues with it. Drill some holes in the T stat too. One of the best upgrades I have done to the car to get it to cool.

· Registered
1,363 Posts
Any updates? Have you been working on the old girl, very interested in how the CNP ignition is working, and I'm sure the aero work will be nice if you've done any of that. Myself, I've never attempted aero work, but it always looks so cool, and no doubt helps with these cars that didn't have a very streamlined shape. I'm not sure I've ever seen a notch with a rear diffuser.

Jay

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Any updates? Have you been working on the old girl, very interested in how the CNP ignition is working, and I'm sure the aero work will be nice if you've done any of that. Myself, I've never attempted aero work, but it always looks so cool, and no doubt helps with these cars that didn't have a very streamlined shape. I'm not sure I've ever seen a notch with a rear diffuser.

Jay
Havent touched it. I bought a bunch of parts to throw at it this season and really havent had any motivation to get to it. I finally went out in the garage and popped the hood this weekend to get started. First item to get to was installing the MSD CAM/CRANK sensor. Pull the old distributor out, pull the plug wires off and remove the TFI Relocation setup from the car. I grab the fancy new MSD, take some measurements to make sure I am going to be ok on the Oil Pump drive and it is just above the .25" measurement but its close. Go to drop it in and its a no go......Not only does it hit the fuel rail crossover line in front of the intake but it looks like its going to hit the intake at the water jacket before it drops in the hole. I decided in that moment that I am done dropping money on this old boat anchor.

Parts have been ordered for the K24 swap, going to get a bunch of **** for this but is what it is. Car should drop some weight, move some weight back and make quite a bit more power. Remember this made 312 wheel HP with this exact setup. Ill lose some torque, but should be able to be close to 500 wheel with the new setup.

Ill be keeping the Tremec and adapting the K24 to it. Ill be pulling the 5.0 and selling it as an entire unit, intake to pan, running setup.

Maybe have some pics coming soon.

Sean

· Registered
6,169 Posts
FWIW, I finally got my '86 GT 'vert to a couple of A/X events before the season ended. Car did well and it has a lot more in it - perhaps more than my talent. Can't wait until next season in January!

Hope your new direction is more rewarding.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

· Registered
1,363 Posts
Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle

I finally pulled my track day '95 off the jack stands and took her out last Friday and Saturday. Weather was amazing considering the time of year, fuel was getting too old, and the new gears and bearings needed some break in time.

Glad you're going to get her ready for more track action!! I plan on going to everything I can next season!

Can't wait to see the next iteration of the car, I'm sure it will be spectacular judging by your previous body of work. Interestingly, I was looking in the classified section of cars for sale, and your '93 LX turbo notch was close to the top of that section. That was a sweet ride.

Jay

· Premium Member
1,013 Posts
View attachment 1080207

View attachment 1080206

I finally pulled my track day '95 off the jack stands and took her out last Friday and Saturday. Weather was amazing considering the time of year, fuel was getting too old, and the new gears and bearings needed some break in time.

Glad you're going to get her ready for more track action!! I plan on going to everything I can next season!

Can't wait to see the next iteration of the car, I'm sure it will be spectacular judging by your previous body of work. Interestingly, I was looking in the classified section of cars for sale, and your '93 LX turbo notch was close to the top of that section. That was a sweet ride.

Jay
That's awesome Jay glad to see you were able to get the car off the jack stands and drive it. Can't wait to hear how it does at the track.

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
FWIW, I finally got my '86 GT 'vert to a couple of A/X events before the season ended. Car did well and it has a lot more in it - perhaps more than my talent. Can't wait until next season in January!

Hope your new direction is more rewarding.

View attachment 1080203
Thats awesome man, its fun to use these things not just look at them. More Driver is what we all need =)

It made it through this year and I learned a ton about the car for what it was and the issues I was having I think it did well. I am not really dissapointed just ready for the next step.

View attachment 1080207

View attachment 1080206

Jay
Thats awesome Jay, sounds like a fun few days were had. Jealous of your awesome weather, its been rain for months here.

I hope its fun and not a huge project. That car was so good....should have kept it.

Can't wait to see you swap the car with a K24. I've seen a 2JZ but never heard of a K24 swap.
Its going to be rediculous....I am excited.

Sean

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
So things kind of went off the rails with this project a bit before Christmas. In searching for a nice K24 to swap into this ****pile I stumbled on a new on pallet 4 Piston Racing Kt1000. This is a built K24 block with a k20 head on it. Its built for boost and lot of it. It was local to me up in seattle and a ****pile more money than I was expecting to spend but its setup to run 4 digit power numbers and I like that idea.

So while up in Seattle for Christmas I grabbed a bunch of cash and picked that up.

Bellhousing to adapt the K24 to the Ford Tremec was on backorder due to ship on the 10th of January. The 12th of January the shipping date was moved out to March or April so I had to go another route.

Picked up a new Tremec GM TKX. Good to 600 Ft. Lbs and 7,800 RPM shifts. I had a GM 621 Bellhousing already and that mated the two up pretty nicely. Parts have been trickling in, this thing is gonna be one bad chicken this time around.

Got to work a few weeks back yarding all the old out and was left with this.

Did a little clearancing on the block for the starter and got to work assembling some of the bad assery. Adapter is from FABBOT Fabrication, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, ARP Hardware.

The biggest hurdle so far has been the stupid front sump oil pump and not a great work around. I did round one of oil pan surgery but it wasnt enough so this is round two, it was much more extensive. This is the 7 qt Moroso Road Race K24 oil pan. You can kind of see that I had to make a recess in the pan for the steering rack, I removed the trap door modified the pan then rewelded in the baffle and checked for all clearances. Its tight but its in there.

With the engine in its final location I was able to come up with some engine mounts. I wanted to keep something poly as I wanted it to be some what smooth in the car so I tossed in the stock Mustang mounts and built off of those. I might redo these down the road but these will work for now.

Was super stoked to get this all bolted up. Just missing a clutch disc and Hydro Throwout bearing at this point and it can get bolted together for good.

First time seeing it in the car with the intake plenum on it.

The front pulley on the engine is about 8" farther back in the chassis than the 302 was. I moved the engine as far back as I could. Engine is tall but hood still closes. Engine angle is a little more than I wanted but it will be totally fine for operation. Frame of reference, the entire engine is behind the hood louvers...

Intake is from KMiata and clears the firewall and booster just fine. Might have an issue with the hydro master for the clutch but we shall see in the next few days.
Header is from BMF Fab and is a custom piece, external wastegate setup for a TIAL XONA turbo. We spec'd the smaller turbo for track days so should be a grea performer and will top out power about 650 wheel on e85. Turbo is full custom and should ship Feb 1. TIAL Wastegate, Water cooled turbo, BOV etc. Radium Fuel Rail and rail mounted Regulator, 1700 CC Injector Dynamics injectors. Coyote Electronic Throttle pedal, Porsche 996 Electronic Throttle body, GM FLex Fuel Sensor, HALTECH 1500 elite ECU and wideband.

I have all the connectors to start on the harness soon, going to be building the harness from scratch with a friends help but going full boogy on that as well with all Raychem stuff.

I have been having almost zero luck uploading photos through IMGUR but got these few to load so thought I would update the thread.

Hope you all like it, or hate it......either way, there is no doubting this is hotrodding =)

Sean

· Registered
1,363 Posts
Holy buckets, if this is a low budget project, I'd hate to see your idea of a high end build LOL!!!

That is indeed bad assery at it's finest! That little rocket sled is going to be a BLAST! Anybody that doesn't appreciate this build just doesn't understand the true meaning of hot rodding.

Damn, now you went and done mucked up that darn brake bias, snicker snicker. Can't wait to see your turbo/intercooler fab work, I'm sure it will be first rate.

Thanks for the update, it's truly magnifico!

Jay

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
Holy buckets, if this is a low budget project, I'd hate to see your idea of a high end build LOL!!!

That is indeed bad assery at it's finest! That little rocket sled is going to be a BLAST! Anybody that doesn't appreciate this build just doesn't understand the true meaning of hot rodding.

Damn, now you went and done mucked up that darn brake bias, snicker snicker. Can't wait to see your turbo/intercooler fab work, I'm sure it will be first rate.

Thanks for the update, it's truly magnifico!

Jay
Its anything but a budget built at this point Jay. I sure hope its a good time and that the combo works well. I actually hope I need to mess with spring rates and brake bias, that means my goal of moving weight around was a success!! Appreciate you taking the time to read through all that =)

I wish I could say I had a hugely productive weekend but as the old boy Maury Povich would say.....and that too would be a lie. I managed to get the engine and trans back out of the car on Saturday afternoon after a great 75 mile bike ride. Got a bunch of sensors pulled off of the donor engine off, cleaned up and installed, Cam, Crank, VTEC solenoid are all installed. Figured out Coolant Temp and oil pressure switches and locations as well. Pulled off the oil pan and spent too much time cleaning up those mating surfaces and getting the pan cleaned up, painted and glued back on with HONDABOND. Hope it is sealed up tight.

Pulled the trans off so I could do some more clearancing for the starter and finally got that all bolted on as well.

I purchased a Tilton Hydraulic throwout and have that, but waiting on new clutch disc and Pilot bearings to show up and have this thing bolted together for good. Hope to see those this week.

I purchased the Hydro Clutch setup from Modern Driveline and while the pieces look to be well built the assembly and install were a total pain in the ass.

I wish I could explain how ****ty this job was wedged up under the dash. But its all installed and seems like its going to work ok. A little worried about plastic bushings in the pivot on one of the main arms but we shall see. There was no way to do it with the seat in....I also reaslized how heavy the planted seat brackets are.....something to think about.

So with that done and the master installed and adjusted for throw I moved to the Accelerator bracket. Should be a simple bolt in with the fancy Scram Speed Bracket....

No the hydro throwout setup hits the connector =) So some adjusting, a new hole in the firewall and a bolt has it in its new home but the pedal now needed some massaging.

I was never going to use the stock plastic pedal anyways and this allowed me to fine tune the setup for the heel toe.

Think it turned out pretty good and feel is good. I installed a longer stud at the top so I can space out the pedal and adjust the height of the pedal by pivoting it down.

Few more parts should be here this week and the show continues.

Hope all had a great weekend.

Sean

· Registered
1,363 Posts
You do realize that the car now requires an SLA front, and IRS rear!

Good thing I was only typing, couldn't have said that with a straight face! Did the clutch master have good clearance to the engine at the firewall? What accessories will be incorporated into the front dress? Most importantly, will that gorgeous radiator/fan assembly still work?

Jay

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
You do realize that the car now requires an SLA front, and IRS rear!

Good thing I was only typing, couldn't have said that with a straight face! Did the clutch master have good clearance to the engine at the firewall? What accessories will be incorporated into the front dress? Most importantly, will that gorgeous radiator/fan assembly still work?

Jay
I figured that was going to come up. One thing at a time...Im not even sure I have the motivation to finish this project I have going right now =)

I didnt get a chance to mockup the hydro setup with the engine in the car, although I should have checked first. I think its going to clear but its likely going to be pretty tight....we shall see hopefully in the next week if the clutch comes in I can get this ****tery bolted back together and in the car.

Front accessories should be all Honda stuff. I mean its really an alternator and a power steering pump, nothing special but I am unsure if it will all fit with the KMiata intake so some experimenting is going to be required. I have thought about electric power steering setup but going to try the mechanical first and see how that works. Other than that its pretty simple stuff. I bought an entire spare K24 for the sensors, hardware and accessory drive setup so I have everything to bolt on.

Short answer is yes, radiator should work, probably going to have to have hard metal pipe to go from the Passenger side where the Rad outlet is to the back driver side where the inlet to the engine is. Still gotta ponder that one a bit.

Sean

· Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to this forum and stumbled upon this build thread and read it from start to finish. The car and build looks great, a true hot rod. Are there any updates? How has it been going, getting that new powerplant up and running? I imagine there has been lots of brainstorming and problem solving. I look forward to seeing your solutions.

I hope all is well.

Chad.

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
I'm new to this forum and stumbled upon this build thread and read it from start to finish. The car and build looks great, a true hot rod. Are there any updates? How has it been going, getting that new powerplant up and running? I imagine there has been lots of brainstorming and problem solving. I look forward to seeing your solutions.

I hope all is well.

Chad.
Whats up Chad!!

I did make a bunch of progress on it after these pics but stupid imgur wouldnt upload pics and I gave up on loading them.

Havent touched it in months since then. Kind of sad to see it come so far, yet just get stopped dead in my tracks by a few things that I just cannot seem to get around.

Ive hit a roadblock on the exhaust, I cannot really side exit in front of the tires with the subframe connectors and I cannot seem to get it over the axle on the passenger side of the car with a 3" and the MM Panhard setup. I dont want to go on the drivers side as that is where all the fuel lines will be located.

I have a coolant temp sensor that needs to go on the back of the head that I didnt know needed to be there on the back of the head.....So the engine likely needs to come back out to get that in there.

I have a plethora of wiring and components to install but at this point I am doubting I have the time or give a **** to finish it unfortunately.

Probably should have hit the easy button and done a coyote swap.

Sean

241 - 256 of 256 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.