Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have been debating this for awhile... I want X an X-Pipe because it looks like it has a more flow through design(They also Claim more horsepower) but all my buddies say go H-Pipe . What do you guys think ? I WANT IT TO BE LOUDER OF COURSE.. If I get rid of the factory headers and go with Shorties, Should I get egual or un-equal length ? Will these two additions make my exhaust more aggressive and loud? All I have right now are 2 2chamber 40 series Flowmaster(NO CATS, I want to keep it that wat too)????

Thanks,

Branden

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have Dr. Gas Xpipe w/no cats, the mufflers you are using and no tailpipes. Sounds awesome. And it is pretty loud. If it is too loud for you you can always put tailpipes on it.

Whatever you get I would definatly get a Xpipe rather than H.

Search Xpipe or X-pipe onthe Windsor forum, you will find tons of threads on this subject that may help your decision. I think for the most part everyone that has gone X has liked it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does talking off the tail pipes really make any difference? I kinda of like mine sticking out... in a way .. if I could get any louder I would get rid of my chrome tail pipes... is there any pipe coming off of the back of the Flowmasters at all?

·
Registered
273 Posts
No tailpipes is ALOT louder. You can get a shortpipe that turns down off the mufflers. That will help keep fumes out of the car. I don't have anything off the muffler. I don't really have any problems with fumes. If you think you may like it without tailpipes you might just try it drive it around for a week and you can always go get something added. A buddy of mine has a pipe about 1 foot long then turns down. I quiets his a little bit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My answer to your header question is to go with un-equal length. The extra heat under the hood (from the header surface area) and the potential plug wire damage is not worth the "claimed" benifits. I started with eq length (burned plug boots on two occasions) and now have un-eq. I might goto long tubes but never back to eq-length.

Keith

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmmm got the header decided now... but still unsure of the tail pipe deal.. I wonder if the actual sound level would increase or if it just sounds louder from inside the car ??? I guess the less bends the exhaust has to take means more flow... but I wonder if it's worth the trouble ?? The muffler shop said it wouldn'nt make much difference in the loudness , but just put the sound under the car? Would that be better ? hmmmm Still can't decide... I guess like you said I can just put them back on if I don't like it

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like the sound of my x-pipe. Strangely, even the shape of the tailpipe alters the sound, i.e. GT turndowns versus LX straightpipes. No tailpipes are definitely louder. Sound great but you may suck fumes if you sit much. The x-pipe has a different and higher pitch than a h-pipe, and the x even doesn't seem as loud because the pitch is higher in range.

As for headers, I would go with the unequals. I have a friend who put some equal length shorties on and now he has to be very careful and run plugwire covers to keep from roasting a couple of them. Also, changing a couple of the plugs is an ordeal. But, you are trading a little power for the convenience. If power is the ultimate goal, better go with long tubes. Whatever you choose, though, good luck!!! JC

·
Registered
246 Posts
ive always heard the theory, xpipes go with straight thru (dynomax, magnaflo, etc.) and hpipes go with chambered (flowmaster, mac, etc.) thats always what ive heard. i have dumps right now and hate them. it made my ultraflo's super quiet at idle, but it made them sound really good just driving around and stomping on it. the bad part about dumps is the smell. i hate it so much. i would put my pipes back on, but i sold them thinking i would never put my pipes back on. :mad:. if your looking for loud, run dumps for about 3 months. that way you get an accurate idea if you want to keep them or not. hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you say dumps, you mean turn downs righ after the mufflers ? That's what I did . Had the pipes cut off yesterday... It has a really nice rumble to it now.... thanks for the advice... YES IT IS ALOT LOUDER !!! My wife said it left a ringing sound in her head after cruising a bit !!! I know I'm on the right track now

:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts