Ford Mustang Forums banner

H-pipe / cat-pipe recommendations...

659 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  richs347 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

My stock 4-cat H-pipe is going out. (Cats starting to rattle.) My question is for anyone who has had experience with any of the aftermarket 2-cat pipes. The Ford Production pipe is like $400 - not doing that again. Also, I think Texas is about to start sniffing, and at my age :) , there's no way I'm swapping this thing out every year for an inspection sticker, so I don't think I want to go the off-road H-pipe route.

I see in several catalogs, 2-cat pipes from Mac, Headman, CATCO, and BBK. I'm looking for quality, good fit, long-lasting, and increased? performance.

Any input on any of these pipes would be appreciated. Thanks! Mark

#2 · (Edited)
Not an H-pipe but....

I have a Bassani X pipe with cats and borlas and I noticied a difference.... nothing that would snap your neck off the line but noticeable at upper rpms.... almost as quiet as stock muffs & H pipe, not quite Italian sounding. Well made piece & I think Houston performance sells them for a little over $400. HTH

#4 ·
91_5.0GT,

Any idea what those H-pipes run? Part# 93338? Didn't see any prices or phone #'s to call.

Matt

edit - ooopps, :eek: , found the phone neumber after posting this....

#5 ·
I have the MAC 2 1/2 2 Cat H-Pipe. Went on the car without any problems. Not a big difference in the sound of the car. Passed the NC sniffer better then the factory 4 Cat H-Pipe. I think it cost about $325 or $350 not to bad.

#7 ·
If you can afford a Bassani X-pipe by all means, go that route.

If not CATCO makes a good quality H-pipe for the money. That is what I have and I think I paid like $325 from Summit - that was a few years ago. Mine is still intact and working great. It passed NJ State Inspection too which is VERY hard to do. It is right behind Cali with the smog/safety BS!

-Rob-

#8 ·
I can't say if one cat pipe is better than another but I was just in the same situation. My 13 yr stock pipe started rattling. Cat pipes are not cheep and shipping added a good bit. I got a used BBK. Go to their web site and check the used parts. The partes are suppised to be "slightly" used. Magazine shoots and dyno stuff. Mine was in very good condition. I don't remember the cost. A lot cheeper than the new part. And if you order on line shipping was very little.

#9 ·
89cpe said:
Id like some info on the morflow converters. Is it an H pipe with converters or do you just get the converters? Please let me know. Thanks.
if you look on their website youll see they sell the whole hpipe......also heard alot of good about thier catbacks too.

im not too familiar with their products as i dont have any first hand experience. but browsing on their website, looks as if they sell different converter types in which they tell you what these converters flow. try to get that information anywhere else.

BTW before i bought my off road hpipe i was looking into their catted hpipe and if i remember correctly the price was about the same as the macs and bbks.

#10 ·
I've had one of the Mor-Flow 93338 h-pipes w/ cats for a '87-92 for about 2 yrs. I swapped over from a Dr. Gas X-with cats. I didn't notice any difference other than the sound. (347 NA). The crossover pipe in the Mor-Flow is larger than is typically found in the MAC, BBK, and Catco from what I've seen - and had in the past. It is also not just a 2" or so pipe welded in there. It looks like it's more rounded into the main pipes - kind of like a cross between the X and H pipes. Sorry, no pics. But imagine a 'X' with a little space on the left and right sides of the center. And having both sides of the 'X' blended into the main pipes. - if that makes any sense. It was about $400.

Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.