Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new H pipe. I was thinking either a BBK Cated X or H pipe. Whats the difference between the H and X. Witch one has more power, witch one sounds better?

·
Registered
17 Posts
i recently went w/ an pacesetter off road h pipe, talked to some people and they said that the x has a little more power capability, i went w/ the H pipe and cat back becasue of the cost but am more than happy with the sound, get alot of decompression sounds when letting off of the gas, i love that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya.. One of my freinds told be the H pipe has a real nice sound to it. I love sound, but im still not sure witch one i should get.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I personally like the X pipe... more of a toned sound in my opinion.

Kyle

·
Registered
475 Posts
The x's do tend to make more power and they can sound really nice depending on the mufflers you run. I'm running some BBK equals, Bassani X and Mac dumps and love the sound...nice deep mellow sound that can be loud when I want :) The H's have a slightly meaner sound in my opinion, but the x's have character...if that makes any sense

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I've got BBK unequals, a Holley Flowtech X and 40 series catback. It sounds awesome, especially on the top end. Everyone that hears my car take off loves the sound. The car doesn't sound too loud until it gets over 3K and then it just sounds meaner than all hell.

·
Banned
407 Posts
my setup is mac equal lenth shorties, VRS off road X, w/ 2 ch flow's and i love it. just some food for thought. with the addition of an off road X my mph went from high 97's to mid 99's. PM me ur email and i can send you video of me doing a burnout so u can see if ya like the tone of an X or not.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What I have generally heard is that the X-pipe sounds more "European", whereas the H-pipe sounds more "American". I would have to agree with this generalization. X-pipes typically mellow the sound, whereas H-pipes harshen the sound.

I don't have a comparison on hand (that's what Mustang Exhaust is for), but I have audio ripped from a video I took with my Powershot A80, and encoded to MP3 format. It's about 700K, and three minutes long. The first twenty seconds or so consist of me hanging it off the high-mount brake light bracket, into the trunk, myself and my friend getting into my car, buckling up, then I finally start her up. It's pretty much over after a minute and a half, unless you want to listen to wind noise and highway sounds.

Exhaust consists of BBK equal-length shorties, Bassani O/R 2½" X-pipe, and 2½" Flowmaster "Force II" (three-chamber mufflers) cat back system. The engine is stock, with about 119K on the clock.

Finally, right click, save as.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Leviathor.. your exhaust sounds pretty sick. Right now all I have are Flowmaster mufflers, and like the way they sound. I think im going to go with the BBK Cated H pipe. Ill try to get some Equal length header pretty soone as well. I would go with the Bassani X pipe, but I just dont have that kind of money right now.. and I need to fix this damn exhaust leak soooon, cause it sounds like a damn harley.

·
Registered
87 Posts
southern new hampshire eh? where abouts. I live in Amherst, work in the manchester mall a few days a week if you see a black gt with license plate BLAKOUT :)~ I'm running bbk equal length headers, bbk xpipe with cats, and dynomax turboflow catback, sounds pretty decent, thinking of getting louder mufflers though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live in derry... I go to the manch mall. Next time ill look for the black GT!

·
Registered
44 Posts
MoPower said:
Hey Leviathor.. your exhaust sounds pretty sick. Right now all I have are Flowmaster mufflers, and like the way they sound. I think im going to go with the BBK Cated H pipe. Ill try to get some Equal length header pretty soone as well. I would go with the Bassani X pipe, but I just dont have that kind of money right now.. and I need to fix this damn exhaust leak soooon, cause it sounds like a damn harley.
Thanks man. In a couple of weeks, she'll sound nothing like that, assuming I get the rest of my parts in soon. In fact, I'll probably park it tomorrow to start disassembly. :)

Exhaust leaks can be real pains. Be sure to get ahold of some good header gaskets when you install them. I've had great luck with Victor Reinz's Nitroseals. Others have highly recommended the 14xx series from Fel-Pro.

Oh, by the way, my X-pipe is O/R, so no cats.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes.. I would get off road pipes, but I need this car to pass inspection.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you're worried about passing emissions tests, I don't believe there are any in new hampshire. If you think you'll get yelled at for not having cats, you can make/get some fake ones and throw around the offroads lol. may be a little tricky to find someone to inspect it due to sound level tho.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
..NH wont passe a car unless they can see cats on the exhaust system. No we dont have emissions... and ya, i could try making fake cats! Sounds like a plan

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I just talked to one of my buddies... he has an H pipe with 8k miles on it. Im going to buy it from him for $120.. Not bad! Then im going to buy a BBK off road X pipe. So after I pass inspection I can bolt in the X pipe.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
mopower....i live in hollis nh, do you ever go to new england dragway? my car has bbk equal lengths, mac off road h-pipe and mac pro dumps. sounds pretty nice. i found a guy to pass me so im all set.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I go to the dragway. my dad runs a shellby cobra replica, metallic blue with white stripes, license plate HSSSSSS, was at the fathers day ford show on 101a if you made it, think he placed 1st. my stang may make it down there by august if i ever get around to the tranny.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts