Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
off the top of thier head does anyone know how similar the stock 91ish mustang H.O cam is to the 96ish explorer 5.0L cam ? i used to know this crap but i am getting old and senile i guess.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Explorer cam is aweful. Made for low end torque. HO cam has a but more lift and a better suited duration. I threw my RV cam (96 expo 5.0) in the garbage. IMO its better as scrap weight.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, for some reason i thought they were both very similar, so now im wondering how an HO cam would perform in an explorer ?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yeah I've read the same. Google should prove us all correct though.

--
Dan in ND
'89 'vert GT undergoing full resto.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I have the specs for both H.O. cams and the Explorer cam at work. The H.O. cams are small, but the Explorer cam is very small, I think it has less than 200 degrees duration at .050 lift. Not good for much more than making an engine start and run.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
An H.O. cam would make an Explorer engine run noticeably better with the heads and intake they came with from the factory.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ok well heres my situation, im swapping an explorer 5.0L into a ranger, the engine has about 100K on it, runs fine, BUT..... i have a line on a rebuilt 91 H.O. shortblock with maybe 20K on it, id much rather use the lower mileage engine but i dont wanna ditch the H.O. cam if it will work with the explorer ECM which it should being that both are mass air, while im assembling the shortblock, i wouldnt be entirely opposed to shoving a better cam in it, im just not sure what would be a decent cam for driving around town, not even interested in racing it, but the truck will be yellow, and its gonna sound good, so it will have the show, and it has to have the go.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
If you are going to use the Explorer computer, you may need to change the firing order of the injectors. The Explorer is not listed as an H.O., so it may have the original 302 firing order. Check the firin order, I have never checked the firing order on a Explorer engine, nor have I ever heard anyone say anything about the firing order of those engines. I know back in the '80s and '90s when Ford had the 5.0 H.O. engine and then the non H.O. 5.0 engines, they had two different firing orders, so the Explorer engine may have a common 302 firing order.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ill keep that in mind, i know the H.O. uses the 351W firing order, not sure about the explorer, being the DIS system, it may not be an issue, or it may be a HUGE issue.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Explorer uses a ho firing pattern not the old school 302 one. To the OP any questions just ask me I just finished putting a 96 expo 5.0 in mine.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
In 96 (I think) Ford switched all the 302 to the 351 firing order so the explorer should be the ho order

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mustang ho cam in a gt40 top end setup work VERY well for factory parts. What Trans do you plan to use?

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
the exploder cam specs as ive seen them are:
5.0L Truck, Explorer F4TE-6250-BA Hydraulic Roller
Intake at 1.6 rocker ratio .422" lift 256 duration
Exhaust at 1.6 rocker ratio .448" lift 266 duration
116 lobe separation

stock mustang cam "advertised" specs

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im using the auto trans from the explorer, want to keep the 4WD but not all that crazy about the AWD

·
Registered
204 Posts
Then use a manual t case from a ranger.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the transfer cases in the 5.0L explorer (as far as i am aware) are the AWD style, and the ranger tcase would work just fine... that is if it would bolt up to the V8 trans.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hyjacking this thread a bit with a question.

I have a choise between using a HO can or a Cobra cam to install in my truck which has a 351/C6 SD FI. It will also get a set of GT40 heads(Mildly ported), 1.7 Cobra RR's, and long tube headers. The intake will be left stock as I am looking for more low and midrange torque for towing. It won't see anything over 4500 rpms.

·
Registered
36,299 Posts
If you look at the Ford data sheet up above you'll see that Ford sped'd the Cobra cam for the heavier Thunderbirds and Cougars in the early/mid 90's. They're data indicates that the Cobra cam made a bit more low end torque than the HO in the same set up. If you have access to one - I'd use it in your application. Also -- the relatively heavy Explorer did just fine on bottom end grunt with the Explorer/GT40 intake. It should offer torque/hp gains all across the tach compared the restrictive stock unit. You should end up with a motor that makes great torque from idle to 4500-5000 rpm.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you look at the Ford data sheet up above you'll see that Ford sped'd the Cobra cam for the heavier Thunderbirds and Cougars in the early/mid 90's. They're data indicates that the Cobra cam made a bit more low end torque than the HO in the same set up. If you have access to one - I'd use it in your application. Also -- the relatively heavy Explorer did just fine on bottom end grunt with the Explorer/GT40 intake. It should offer torque/hp gains all across the tach compared the restrictive stock unit. You should end up with a motor that makes great torque from idle to 4500-5000 rpm.
Much as I'd like to update the intake these mods are being done to a 351 in a full size Ford van and no aftermarked or Ford intake fits except the OEM one.
One thing I do plan on doing is porting the #1 & #5 runners in the lower half of the intake as these are know to not flow as well as the other 6 runners.
If this were a PU I'd be all over a GT40 intake off a Lighting PU.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts