Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feedback on my proposed combos please..keeping in mind the Trick flow combo about $200-$300 less for package

Combo 1: Edelbrock-Just under $2000 for the parts listed

Performer RPM Intake
6037 O-ringed Heads
Crane 2031 Cam or Steeda #19 Cam

Combo 2: Trick Flow-- about $1700 for the parts listed

Trick Flow Track Heat intake
Trick Flow TW O-ringed Heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 Cam

FOR those who say Combo 2..is it because it is lower priced, or better performance..

For those who say Combo 1, is the better performance worth the extra $300..

Also welcome any other combos/suggestions for above improvements.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
ive never used an edelbrockcombo, but I have the TFS combo you mentioned and I love it. im running high 12s @ 108mph with my coupe.. better price too.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I on the other hand have never used the Trick flow stuff. I'm very happy with my Edelbrock stuff. I'm running a Perf. RPM intake, Stage 3 Performer heads, a Custom Lunati Blower cam, and 8.5-1 blower pistons. I also have a 70mm E-brock T/B. I've had absolutely zero probs with fitment, workmanship, or quality. Every part fit, looked and performed flawlessly. It pretty much depends on your preference and or budget. You really cant go wrong with any of these suggestions. My $0.02 is basically just stay away from "P" heads and explorer intakes, not worth the $ for minimal performance gains. Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Combo #2 should make more power...plus its cheaper.

·
Registered
655 Posts
another vote for #2

·
Registered
147 Posts
Unless I missed something, what is the reason for the o-ringed heads ? Are you planning to add a power adder of some sort ? Of the two I'd be partial to combo #2 also. If no power adder is planned spend the extra bucks on a mild porting and use a decent gasket set. IMHO

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bwhite said:
Unless I missed something, what is the reason for the o-ringed heads ? Are you planning to add a power adder of some sort ? Of the two I'd be partial to combo #2 also. If no power adder is planned spend the extra bucks on a mild porting and use a decent gasket set. IMHO
The Problem is Im about 50/50 on the super charger in about a year..So I may go O-ringed for and extra $100 now so I dont need to worry later.

For those who said Combo 2 because of cost..I have been told(not sure, b/c Im still learning) that the labor rate is higher for the TFS because they are not "fixed" they are "adjustable" and require more labor.. Does anyone know what this means and can you elaborate and verify this.
:confused:

Thanks

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
i have no idea what that means..

where did you hear it?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Combo #2 will make more power.

There is nothing harder about installing Trick Flow heads compared to any other heads.

I'd choose the TFS Street Heat manifold over the Track Heat unless you were going to port the heads and run more cam. The Street Heat manifold matches the torque range of the TFS Cam (221/225 @ .050"). The Track Heat manifold should be run with the #2 cam (224/232 @ .050). You'll like the matched combo better. Later, with a supercharger, you still don't need to wrap the engine to higher rpms to make big power. Put the power in the rpm range where you'll use it every day.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I completely agree with amossm. I am running the full TFS combo w/ the street heat intake and I am happy. TFS heads use stud mount rockers as opposed to edelbrock 6037's using pedistal mt rockers. Stud are supposed to be easier to set up. I wouldn't use a ped mt heads as IMO stud is better for a more performance oriented valvetrain. If u d0 choose edel heads, use one of their stud mt heads. I think its the 6032's, but not sure.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Grn92LX said:
I completely agree with amossm. I am running the full TFS combo w/ the street heat intake and I am happy. TFS heads use stud mount rockers as opposed to edelbrock 6037's using pedistal mt rockers. Stud are supposed to be easier to set up. I wouldn't use a ped mt heads as IMO stud is better for a more performance oriented valvetrain. If u d0 choose edel heads, use one of their stud mt heads. I think its the 6032's, but not sure.
Hey Grn92...I see you have that setup, and youre:) ?

I know the shop owner did say something about the stud vs pedestal mnt, but I dont remember his exact wording...Anyway Even if it did cost more in labor, the parts costs are definitely less, and most people here seem to agree that it will probably make more power..

Can someone recommend the brand and size rockers to use with this..?

I thought of the 1.7 cobras from Crane..Is this ok, or is there something better? And what is a good website to buy?

Thanks

·
Registered
665 Posts
The Trick Flow stage 1 cam is designed to be run with 1.6 ratio rockers. Unless you have aftermarket pistons that are specifically designed with deeper valve notches for the Twisted Wedge head (different valve position than stock), then you must be careful about creating valve to piston interference. I'm not saying that it's impossible to use this cam with stock pistons and 1.7 rockers, but I'd be very wary of the combination unless I talked to someone that has done it. Then, I'd still check the clearance myself.

Also, the ramp speeds designed into any cam are calculated based on a specific rocker ratio that is to be used. If you get a fast ramp speed cam intended for a 1.6 rocker and use instead a 1.7 rocker, you have increased the acceleration and deceleration rate at the valve. This can lead to premature wear in the entire valve train, and would at a minimum require springs designed to handle it. For a street motor, I'd stick with the 1.6 rockers on this cam.

Crane Gold Race roller rockers are great quality, without a doubt. Also expensive, at around $300. Comp Cams rockers are good also; probably can find them for around $250. I am building a high performance stroker motor right now and not cutting corners on any of the parts. After looking personally at everything available, I'm going to go with Scorpion brand roller rockers. They're made in the USA, and the machining and polished finish quality is terrific. Call Ted at Wynnespeed, toll free 877-966-6375. Tell him Steve Amos from Minnesota referred you; he'll sell you a set for $189. Best buy on roller rockers that I know about.

When ordering whatever roller rockers you choose, you must specify 1.6 or 1.7 ratio, stud or pedestal mount, and if stud mount whether it's 3/8" or 7/16" stud.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
amossm said:
...........When ordering whatever roller rockers you choose, you must specify 1.6 or 1.7 ratio, stud or pedestal mount, and if stud mount whether it's 3/8" or 7/16" stud.
This is great info for my beginner brain:drool: ,

but could you tell me which one specifically (stud/pedestal, and size if I go with the TFS Street heads, O-ringed. and stage I cam...This would help me ALOT in putting together my package and pricing.
Thanks Again:cool:

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
For reg TFS TW heads you will need 1.6 stud mt rockers for 3/8 studs. If you use TFS track heat heads you'll need same as above but only for 7/16 studs. I use fms 1.6 rr's w/ my TFS heads, they were $199 from mustangs unlimited. TFS recommends 1.6 rockers w/ their heads. If your using a stock bottom end w/ no head milling you will need TFS 6.7" or 6.75" pushrods. Either should work, but I use 6.7".

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Grn92LX said:
For reg TFS TW heads you will need 1.6 stud mt rockers for 3/8 studs. If you use TFS track heat heads you'll need same as above but only for 7/16 studs. I use fms 1.6 rr's w/ my TFS heads, they were $199 from mustangs unlimited. TFS recommends 1.6 rockers w/ their heads. If your using a stock bottom end w/ no head milling you will need TFS 6.7" or 6.75" pushrods. Either should work, but I use 6.7".
This is awesome info:joy:

Thanks Grn...!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts