Ford Mustang Forums banner

Guys with strait through mufflers, ?'s

1K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Shawn95GTRag 
#1 ·
Heres the deal.... I have Dynomax bullets and dumps on the car now and I hate the way it sounds. Its obnoxious and at times even resembles a glasspack. They need to go!

I really want something that sounds good without being really loud, and I want to stay with the blower/X-pipe "must use a strait through muffler" theory. So I am thinking Magnaflow. I've heard good things about the power/ sound. Problem is they only offer their cat-back with 3.5" Tips...I am not interested in that much tip. Sorry, its not a Civic.

What do you guys that use the Magnaflows do? Live with the monster tips? Mix and match systems? Any other brand suggestions? Im lost and need to get something soon. I must have stainless tips, no more dumps for me.

Any ideas advice would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

#2 ·
PritchSVT97 said:
Its obnoxious and at times even resembles a glasspack. They need to go!
Hey -- I resemble that remark! Panoz OEM exhaust for the Roadster is dual 2.5" straight pipes with in-line glasspacks and no mufflers (two high flow cats on each side). Sounds awesome. makes more power, and is more compact and lighter than the OEM Mustang exhaust.

Incidentally, my V-4 motorcycle also has 4 independent glasspacks for exhaust. They're great for simple design, minimal bulk and high flow. I wonder why glasspacks aren't more popular. Any technical reason for this?

#3 ·
Ever think of borlas? either xr1 or regular they have a nice looking tip and i like the way the hug just under the bumper line like the old lx fox bodies.

#4 ·
sorry double post

#5 ·
Re: Re: Guys with strait through mufflers, ?'s

Michael Clements said:
Hey -- I resemble that remark! I wonder why glasspacks aren't more popular. Any technical reason for this?
Didnt mean to offend those packing glass! I dont know if there is a technical reason why they arent more popular, I just hate the "cackle and pop" you get from those style of muffler. My car has that cackle in just a narrow RPM band, from about 2600-2900. But rolling around town I spend alot of time in that range... I find my self short shifting or blowing through it quick... The sound drives me NUTS!!!!

It does sound wicked at 6500-7000 with the Hooker LTs and X-pipe, and making its 15lbs of BOOST!

#6 ·
Re: Re: Re: Guys with strait through mufflers, ?'s

PritchSVT97 said:
Didnt mean to offend those packing glass! I dont know if there is a technical reason why they arent more popular, I just hate the "cackle and pop" you get from those style of muffler.
When your glasspacks start to cackle & pop it usually means the fiberglass packing is all burnt up, oil contaminated, or blown out -- in other words, time for a repack.

Just a tip for those using glasspacks: Superwool 607 blanket AC2 is the good stuff to use if and when you ever repack.

#7 ·
98 BLUE THUNDER GT said:
Ever think of borlas? either xr1 or regular they have a nice looking tip and i like the way the hug just under the bumper line like the old lx fox bodies.
Ditto that suggestion. I run the Borla XR1 catback and love it. It's very quiet @ idle and once it's up near 2500-3k it will roar.

#10 ·
Bassani, Borla, Spintech... Can't go wrong

#13 ·
Yeah i love the sound of them at around 2500-3k when you roll on the gas kinda like you creep off get into second quick and then go to wot at around 2k and just hold it till just past 3k. The roar is awsome, i usually do it when i'm in town and go by wal mart. That's where all the ricers hang out, it looks like christmas all yr round out there w/ all the neons and light up wiper nozzles, really gets there attention and reminds them their cars suck. :D

#14 ·
I think I have narrowed down my exhaust...

Dr. Gas Flowtubes and Dr. Gas S/S 2.5" tips, and I want to try the Oval-body Magnaflows. Does anyone have the PN# for the correct Mustang offset Magnaflows? ( non-S/S )

Also wheres a good ( read: cheap) place to get them? My supplier doesnt carry them.

Thanks!

#15 ·
3.5 inch tips don't look out of place on a Mustang, but anyways, I love my Bassani setup.

#16 ·

Michael Clements said:
Hey -- I resemble that remark! Panoz OEM exhaust for the Roadster is dual 2.5" straight pipes with in-line glasspacks and no mufflers (two high flow cats on each side). Sounds awesome. makes more power, and is more compact and lighter than the OEM Mustang exhaust.

Incidentally, my V-4 motorcycle also has 4 independent glasspacks for exhaust. They're great for simple design, minimal bulk and high flow. I wonder why glasspacks aren't more popular. Any technical reason for this?

Actually, Panoz comes from the factory with Magnaflow, not glasspacks, they look like glass packs though......

part number for Magnaflow

ss- 14336
aluminizec- 11236

Both have life time warranty

#17 ·

GNN60GT500 said:
Actually, Panoz comes from the factory with Magnaflow, not glasspacks, they look like glass packs though......
Yup they sure do look like glasspacks.
How did you know that?

#19 ·

GNN60GT500 said:

part number for Magnaflow

ss- 14336
aluminizec- 11236

Both have life time warranty
I looked up those part #s and it doesn't look right. The Panoz exhaust has two 2.5" pipes from the header collectors to the tail. Each pipe has 2 cats in line, a smooth glasspack-looking bulge a few feet forward of the tailpipe, and an "H" style cross pipe a few feet forward of the glasspacks. The entire system is a single unit welded together.

The part#s you showed are only pieces, not a full system. So are you saying that Panoz bought these magnaflow parts for the in-line resonators, bought the cats & pipes somewhere else (or fabricated them), and then welded it all together on their own?

#21 ·
actually those part numbers are for the Mustang, not the Panoz......

We supply Panoz with the parts, then they build the exhaust....but those are Magnaflow mufflers on the car......

Im not really supposed to tell you that, but you know.

#22 ·
GNN60GT500 said:

We supply Panoz with the parts, then they build the exhaust....but those are Magnaflow mufflers on the car......
Thanks for the info. Sounds like Panoz is sourcing the parts from various suppliers and welding it all together on their own.

So what is the internal design of these resonator "mufflers" which look like in-line glasspacks?

#23 ·
GNN60GT500 said:
Actually I'm certain those are not the part #s of what's on my '99 Roadster. I looked at the pictures and they just don't match. The only thing on the Magnaflow website that looks like what's on my Roadster is here:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/pack.htm
These are the "Magnapack" which according to the Magnaflow description are indeed glasspacks.

Perhaps the part #s you listed are on the Panoz Esperante... or maybe the Magnaflow web site is out of date.

#24 ·
When I got my maganflow cat-back with the 3.5inch tips, I was kinda skeptical to put them on my cobra. I figured "heck, I'll try them and if I don't like them I'll take them off". Well needless to say it's been a year since I installed the cat-back and I have not removed them. From behind it looks tough and mean with the tips, and does not look ricey at all. As a matter of fact from far away, many people can barely tell their 3.5s, they swear they are 3.0s. Good luck on whatever you decide.

#25 ·

Michael Clements said:

you resemble that remark? im sorry, but im not following?

#26 ·
If you have an off-road pipe than the Magnaflows are going to cackle too.

If you want it quiet - go with Borlas. My Borlas dumped at the rear axle were quieter than my Dynomax Ultraflows with tailpipes. If I could have made my Borlas work with my tailpipes I'd be using them right now (I got the wrong offset and I bought 'em second hand new in the box).

If you want it almost as quiet and more noise when you are on it - maybe try the Dynomax Ultraflows.

All this being said, I haven't heard of anyone who dropped the $$ for Magnaflows and was disappointed.

Shawn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.