Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just wondering what you guys that have suspensions for handling are doing to hook up when at the drags or on the street. Is there a tire that hooks up good that still can handle? I was thinking about a drag radial (Nitto 275 40 17) but am worried that it might hurt the handling. What are you guys doing to your suspensions when you go to the track or have a race?? Thanks four your help !! I want to start going to the track

·
Registered
567 Posts
Remove the front sway bar, set the front struts to full soft, slap on the skinnies and slicks and go race! 1.68 60' on a very poorly (un)prepped track. Not great, but not bad! I do run Nitto drag radials on the street and they actually hook pretty good and handle very well...

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I have all 'road-race' type suspension and still pull a 1.6 60 foot time. All I do is remove the front sway bar the morning of the race, then bolt on some 26x10x15 slicks when I get there.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
If you don't want to change tires for any different occasions (except snow) run the drag radial and don't sweat it. I used Nitto DR's as my full time tire for 2 years, (3 pairs, 10k-12k each) until I changed wheel size a couple months ago. I drove on them daily in nice weather, I took them to the drags, and most importantly my wife and I both autocrossed them to the tune of two regional championships. They sway a little bit on the rim but they HOOK and that's what counts. I wouldn't take them on a road-course event but for short-duration cornering they're fine. I have a quicktime video clip of one of my runs where you can see exactly how they behave. Yes the rim moves relative to the contact patch a little bit but we never, ever had a problem with them in countless runs. They took 3 tenths off my 1/4 mile and about a second off the typical 45-60-second autocross run as well as being a hoot on the street. I'm now running Kumho's new MX which is supposed to be comparable to a BFG KD and although they handle great, they don't hook nearly as well as the Nitto DR's did.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Nitto drag radials here. Car is close to stock and does fine at track and autocross (even in the rain). When the weather warms up and I can figure out how to do a second gear burnout without stalling, the 2.0 60ft times should drop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts