Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever used a Gtech Pro on their lightning?
I want to know just how far they are off as far as giving an accurate E.T and MPH. I have the older Gtech Pro not that new one with the graphs and (blue screen and all that jazz). Mine is the older unit but it still seems to work pretty well. Just curious what to look for when I finally get to take mine to the strip. Just by using the Gtech on mine I got some pretty good numbers to be bone stock w/ bypass unplugged. I'm just curios not depending or counting on these numbers be really accurate, just something to look forward to at the track. I tested my 01 GT on it and found that the E.T's were pretty accurate, but the MPH. was about 3mph higher than the track reported on my timeslips. I tried to run the Gtech and at the track on similar conditions, ie. temperature and so forth. Any input would be appreciated.
Proud owner of a black lightning
Craig

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
any response would be appreciated....just a simple question.....would like to know what most of them run stock at a track.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned how it compares to a run down the track. I think a better use would be in comparison runs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'll have to agree with Larry. It is best used as a comparasn tool for when you add mods. You could always take it to the track and run it when you are on the track to see just how accurate it is.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I haven't had it on the track yet. The best stock time that I know of is 13.3 @ 102 with a stock '02 L. I'm sure there are better, but I wouldn't think by very much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wish

and I wish I could try out my new Gtech Pro.... but alas... I'm still waiting for the backorder to be filled since December 02...

·
Registered
305 Posts
It's so hard to predict what even a stock Gen 2 will run in the 1/4. It's so dependent on weather, track location and prep as well as your own past experience.

I've seen numbers from the low 14s to the low 13s(at Cecil, probably the best for traction and good air). I never ran mine stock..........

Dan

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ran mine the other day and got a 13.44 @ 111mph. I KNOW this doesn't mean squat, but it does give me something to look forward to and to shoot for. I just hope it runs close to that bone stock, I would be more than happy. I got that run on a 30degree night, so I don't figure I'll ever see that at the track, but I also expect a better launch pad too. The MPH is way off, but most say the ET's are generally pretty close. I know I've got my fingers crossed.;)

·
Registered
860 Posts
A friend of mine tried his the other day at the track and it worked pretty well. He was staged in the beams and I guess you hit a button to stage it as long as you don't roll through the lights it will work well. It was 1 mph and 2 tenths off his timeslip. Not too shabby I thought.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I G-teched my car at the track with my stock engine. Gtech read [email protected], and my timeslip was [email protected] I find the MPH is off but that is because the Gtech is telling you how fast your car is going at the end and at the track the last little bit is averaged or something. The Gtech also works great on the street, you just need it zeroed in properly and it needs to be done on a really good road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had the pro model at the track and never ran more than .05 off from my slip, mph is always high but they explain that in the instructions, gtech gives mph at the exact end of the 1/4 where the track is your average speed for the last 66feet, something like that.

on the street there are a couple of things you have to do for it to be acurate, the road must be flat and the unit must be leveled. i like to be a little conservative, i make a run in each direction and only use the slower one.

i just got the new gtech competion, it is very cool, it is suppose to be 10 times more acurate and you don't have to level it anymore. it gives 60', 0-60, 1/8et, 1/4et, logs your rpms, and about 100 other things. you still have to be on a flat road

so far my best gtech runs 1.82 60', 4.05 0-60mph, 12.78 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thats horendus!!! i really hope you were doing something wrong although the only thing i can think of is could it not have been calibrated properly? if i see a discrepantcy like that mine is going right in the trash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a debate going with some other people about the acuracy of the new gtech, i feel that it is going to be very acurate but my local track isn't open yet so i can test it. the instructions clearly say "The Gtech is a precision instrument and needs to be calibrated twice"

i wouldn't expect the unit to be very acurate if the instructions aren't followed but thanks for the info anyways.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts