Ford Mustang Forums banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I think you are on the wrong forum. If you are looking to make 15 more ft lbs of TQ for 600 rpms and give up 50 ft lbs for 2500 rpms, you need to find the appropriate forum. You are chasing little improvements for a very low and small range of operating rpms. This is a high performance forum.....

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
That wasnt the only option, guess you stopped reading "or better yet, regular gt40 heads that have none of the drawbacks the P heads have "
Regular used GT40’s have all the drawbacks of the P’s minus the headers. Still expensive for what you get kinda.
Alex parts does list one set of springs for e7 and P heads, maybe youre right. I have a set of their standard gt40 springs and retainers for my gt40 headed 57 f100.
I don’t know about the seat pressures etc, but I’m fairly certain an “E7 spring” will physically fit a GT40 head.
I’m with you on the GT40’s not being “worth it.” There’s just not very much bang for buck with them. Most GT40 combos seem to make between 230-260 rear horse power and Joe Schmoe will end up having $1k or so (heads plus extras) not including headers wrapped up into them. Springs and retainers by themselves might run around $500.
COMP Cams 26986-16 COMP Cams Valve Springs | Summit Racing

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I think you are on the wrong forum. If you are looking to make 15 more ft lbs of TQ for 600 rpms and give up 50 ft lbs for 2500 rpms, you need to find the appropriate forum. You are chasing little improvements for a very low and small range of operating rpms. This is a high performance forum.....
Last time I checked this forum is for 94 95 SN95s. I’ve tried to create a cordial learning and discussion opportunity. This is how people learn. The head test was similar at low RPM but that was with a dual plane intake and carb. When you use EFI the smaller runners are clearly better at the low end. Velocity over volume. At higher engine speeds, the friction loss of the smaller runners overcomes the their advantage and the larger runners are better. Having been around the block a time or two I’ve found that when someone has painted themself into a corner they start attacking others. Case in point. You owe me and this forum an apology. How you respond to this will speak volumes.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
It’s more akin to a Thrifty Nickel these days. ;)
OK 91LX, that was funny. Part of the challenge is to do this on a shoestring budget. Like those 3k racing challenges. I paid $1650 for this. 98k no rust. Not perfect but a great daily driver. Financial priorities are elsewhere. Getting to retire early and spend time with family is better than any Mustang or any thing for that matter! I’m like everyone else. I could throw 15k at the project but then I have a garage queen that isn’t a daily driver and needs constant service. 15 years in the fire service seeing people on their worst day and some gray hair has taught me a few things.
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Last time I checked this forum is for 94 95 SN95s. I’ve tried to create a cordial learning and discussion opportunity. This is how people learn. The head test was similar at low RPM but that was with a dual plane intake and carb. When you use EFI the smaller runners are clearly better at the low end. Velocity over volume. At higher engine speeds, the friction loss of the smaller runners overcomes the their advantage and the larger runners are better. Having been around the block a time or two I’ve found that when someone has painted themself into a corner they start attacking others. Case in point. You owe me and this forum an apology. How you respond to this will speak volumes.
Boy are you confused. I was giving you excellent advice, but you dont have the capacity to grasp it. You have no business giving anyone advice on this website, but its free and open so here you are.

Stop crying and learn something....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Boy are you confused. I was giving you excellent advice, but you dont have the capacity to grasp it. You have no business giving anyone advice on this website, but its free and open so here you are.

Like I said, how you respond will speak volumes. And, there it is, another attack! I’m not crying. Just trying to handle this like an adult. I challenge you to do the same. I’ll rewind and try again. You implied I was building a lawn mower. Well, that may be true but isn’t that what the Ford engineers did in 1994? Then, you implied that my idea about smaller runners was stupid. I have thick skin so I didn’t take that as an implication that I’m stupid. But, the whole idea of the forum is to well, share ideas and see what sticks. If I’m wrong, great, I learned something. If I’m right, great, someone else may have learned something. The knowledge of the forum is greater than the individual parts! I’m trying to de-escalate, help me out here!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
OK 91LX, that was funny. Part of the challenge is to do this on a shoestring budget. Like those 3k racing challenges. I paid $1650 for this. 98k no rust. Not perfect but a great daily driver. Financial priorities are elsewhere. Getting to retire early and spend time with family is better than any Mustang or any thing for that matter! I’m like everyone else. I could throw 15k at the project but then I have a garage queen that isn’t a daily driver and needs constant service. 15 years in the fire service seeing people on their worst day and some gray hair has taught me a few things. View attachment 1079579
You’re barking up the wrong tree. I was replying to @ndmp40 saying that “this was a high performance forum.” The Thrifty Nickel is/was a free classified news paper filled will people selling old junk. I was referring to the forum as the “Thrifty Nickel,” not your car. I feel you on the budget, I’m prob the brokest dude on here. Know sucks most about “budget builds?” Nothing is ever new at the same time. Paint is two years old by the time one finally gets wheels etc.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
OK 91LX, that was funny. Part of the challenge is to do this on a shoestring budget. Like those 3k racing challenges. I paid $1650 for this. 98k no rust. Not perfect but a great daily driver. Financial priorities are elsewhere. Getting to retire early and spend time with family is better than any Mustang or any thing for that matter! I’m like everyone else. I could throw 15k at the project but then I have a garage queen that isn’t a daily driver and needs constant service. 15 years in the fire service seeing people on their worst day and some gray hair has taught me a few things. View attachment 1079579
You’re barking up the wrong tree. I was replying to @ndmp40 saying that “this was a high performance forum.” The Thrifty Nickel is/was a free classified news paper filled will people selling old junk. I was referring to the forum as the “Thrifty Nickel,” not your car. I feel you on the budget, I’m prob the brokest dude on here. Know sucks most about “budget builds?” Nothing is ever new at the same time. Paint is two years old by the time one finally gets wheels etc.

Indy, that you? @ndmp40 “This is a high performance forum, find another.” “Your project sucks, move along.” Is that anyway to be?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
So I think basically where you are is it’s a crap shoot whether stock headers will work or not if one uses the “appropriate” spark plug boot angles.
The difficult part is trying to sort out the headers. I’ll start with the stock headers and go from there. I’ll see if I can get some good mock ups with definitive pics. Then maybe we can put it to rest. The 40Ps aren’t the best choice but they are cheap and plentiful. Didn’t take your previous post in a bad way at all. There are a lot of car enthusiasts out there on a shoestring budget. Maybe this will help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another question about GT40P heads! It seems the vote is 50/50. Half say you can run 40p's without special headers the other half says no! Which is it! Anyway, I plan on running the stock headers with the P heads. Will this work with 90 degree wires and/or shortie plugs? Anyone have some pics they can post?
Going to junkyard this weekend for gt40p on 86-93 foxbody.

·
Registered
104 Posts
To the OP: My car came with a set of BBK shorty headers, the unequal length style. I swapped on a set of GT40p's and the only plug wire that is close is the #7. I had to use a 90 degree boot on that one. Stock plugs are fine. No issues with burning plug wires. Keep in mind this is on an '89lx, not sure if the body style change would present any issues as far as how the headers are manufactured. It was a worthwhile upgrade for me, because I got the heads with the spring upgrade already done for $300, and an explorer GT40 intake for another $50. As others have said, probably not a worthwhile upgrade if if costs you $1k, but for the right price it's a nice running budget street combo.

Reactions: 90lxwhite

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
To the OP: My car came with a set of BBK shorty headers, the unequal length style. I swapped on a set of GT40p's and the only plug wire that is close is the #7. I had to use a 90 degree boot on that one. Stock plugs are fine. No issues with burning plug wires. Keep in mind this is on an '89lx, not sure if the body style change would present any issues as far as how the headers are manufactured. It was a worthwhile upgrade for me, because I got the heads with the spring upgrade already done for $300, and an explorer GT40 intake for another $50. As others have said, probably not a worthwhile upgrade if if costs you $1k, but for the right price it's a nice running budget street combo.
Read that in other places also. Thanks for the input. Whether you go aluminum or GT40P heads, headers are in the picture either way. Can you post the part number you used? Went to BBK site. Fox headers are a different part number but it may be the EGR fitting that is different. Tubes may be the same.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Read that in other places also. Thanks for the input. Whether you go aluminum or GT40P heads, headers are in the picture either way. Can you post the part number you used? Went to BBK site. Fox headers are a different part number but it may be the EGR fitting that is different. Tubes may be the same.
Unfortunately there is no part number on them, and they were on the car when I bought it. They appear to be the standard 1 5/8” unequal length shorties you see for around $250. There is no egr fitting on them.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Just out of curiousity what intake were you going to run with the 40Ps?

·
Registered
399 Posts
A while back I was on a shoestring budget with a FFF Cobra. I found the setup that worked for me was the 1992 stock heads that I hand ported and a set of better springs. I went with the trick flow stage I cam.I used a Explorer intake. With these upgrades I was very happy with the performance.I later went with a set of TF 170 heads ,bigger TB and Mass air sensor.I used a set of used Mack 1 5/8 shorty headers I found very little difference in low end tq in both setups.Just alot of differance on the top end.Save your money for a set of used Al heads.They are the best bang for your bucks.Doing your own porting isn't that hard and sure feels good and is pretty cheap to do.There are plenty books out there that show you how to do it and kits to do it is cheap.

·
Registered
399 Posts
A while back I was on a shoestring budget with a FFF Cobra. I found the setup that worked for me was the 1992 stock heads that I hand ported and a set of better springs. I went with the trick flow stage I cam.I used a Explorer intake. With these upgrades I was very happy with the performance.I later went with a set of TF 170 heads ,bigger TB and Mass air sensor.I used a set of used Mack 1 5/8 shorty headers I found very little difference in low end tq in both setups.Just alot of differance on the top end.Save your money for a set of used Al heads.They are the best bang for your bucks.Doing your own porting isn't that hard and sure feels good and is pretty cheap to do.There are plenty books out there that show you how to do it and kits to do it is cheap.
I forgot 24 lb injectors

41 - 60 of 62 Posts