Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
That wasnt the only option, guess you stopped reading "or better yet, regular gt40 heads that have none of the drawbacks the P heads have "
still applies. a 4 bar head will always out perform a 3 bar head. back 20 years ago. but if he's deadset on running p heads, mo powaahh to him. as long as he runs a b303 in there as well. Now you're talking big powaahh lol.

another option would be to give him the $1050.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Alex parts does list one set of springs for e7 and P heads, maybe youre right. I have a set of their standard gt40 springs and retainers for my gt40 headed 57 f100.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
still applies. a 4 bar head will always out perform a 3 bar head. back 20 years ago. but if he's deadset on running p heads, mo powaahh to him. as long as he runs a b303 in there as well. Now you're talking big powaahh lol.

another option would be to give him the $1050.
Bcam is the best cam. I mean with a B cam, the heads dont really matter do they? Seriously though for me, the power gains from a P over standard gt40 does not outweigh the the problems that come with it. Changing plugs on one of those is such a pain. Its easier to remove the header and do them then it is to leave the header in place. Burnt plug wires always seems to be an issue too.

or i could just give him 1050 LOL

Reactions: kjb302ho

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

Reactions: kjb302ho

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ok, here are some pictures... One side only, I moved my engine and I really can't get to the other side.
I have had stock exhaust manifolds with less spark plug clearance than these headers look like to me.. This side is tight at the outlet, the other side has better clearance..
These pictures are Without any header gaskets...
Automotive lighting Musical instrument Automotive tire Electrical wiring Grille
Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Vehicle
Grille Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle
Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Rim

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Small ports do not make more torque. If that were the case, just buy a set of 221 SBF heads would be in demand.....
You are correct when talking peak torque. 165s will produce more but at what RPM. Also, what is the sacrifice at the low end. I’m building low end torque not top end, to a degree smaller is better, including heads, cam and exhaust. But, the 221s may be a bit too small. I like the GT40s because they don’t sacrifice the bottom end like 165s. It’s a daily driver with cruise and air that can roast the tires. While I get peak HP numbers with more flow I’ll never see 6500. And, I don’t want to change the torque converter! I know, wish it was a 5spd but didn’t pay much for the car!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Ok, here are some pictures... One side only, I moved my engine and I really can't get to the other side.
I have had stock exhaust manifolds with less spark plug clearance than these headers look like to me.. This side is tight at the outlet, the other side has better clearance..
Those seem better than a lot of the ones Ive seen but the boots still look like they will be close in a couple spots. You might get away with it.

I think i have those exact same headers bolted to gt40 heads in my truck. I think i paid like 90$ for them. Surprisingly nice for the price. Needed something to hold me over until i put spooly mcdoolys on it.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
You are correct when talking peak torque. 165s will produce more but at what RPM. Also, what is the sacrifice at the low end. I’m building low end torque not top end, to a degree smaller is better, including heads, cam and exhaust. But, the 221s may be a bit too small. I like the GT40s because they don’t sacrifice the bottom end like 165s. It’s a daily driver with cruise and air that can roast the tires. While I get peak HP numbers with more flow I’ll never see 6500. And, I don’t want to change the torque converter! I know, wish it was a 5spd but didn’t pay much for the car!
No. I can make more tq with an AFR 185 head than an AFR 165 head on a 302 at any RPM.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Those seem better than a lot of the ones Ive seen but the boots still look like they will be close in a couple spots. You might get away with it.

I think i have those exact same headers bolted to gt40 heads in my truck. I think i paid like 90$ for them. Surprisingly nice for the price. Needed something to hold me over until i put spooly mcdoolys on it.
i had a set of bbk 351w swap headers laying around. they actually fit really well. i lengthened the legs of an old xpipe and it fits.

mine is a 90 f250 2wd

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
View attachment 1079538 View attachment 1079539 View attachment 1079540 View attachment 1079541
Great pictures. It looks like number 7 is the biggest problem. I’ve been reading that other places as well. Others have said the unequal length BBKs work.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
No. I can make more tq with an AFR 185 head than an AFR 165 head on a 302 at any RPM.

This is a really good video. It would be interesting to see what the numbers are at a lower RPM. This test was also on a 333 with the XE274 cam. I wonder if there would be a bigger difference on a 302 with a stock cam.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts

This is a really good video. It would be interesting to see what the numbers are at a lower RPM. This test was also on a 333 with the XE274 cam. I wonder if there would be a bigger difference on a 302 with a stock cam.
Lower RPM? Are you cutting your lawn with this engine? LOL

Ford stock heads, even the GT 40 cast iron heads, are way to small in port volume to support any serious performance. Way too small. When the first AFR 185's came out, I put them on a 302 and it embarrassed the stock heads on an engine dyno and chassis dyno. The cam is key, which most people get way wrong.

Many people grabbed the "small ports make TQ" BS and ran with it, who knows why. Its stupid. Look at the ports in the LS, and you will see why so many of those engines are swapped into Fox bodies.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts

Ford stock heads, even the GT 40 cast iron heads, are way to small in port volume to support any serious performance. Way too small. When the first AFR 185's came out, I put them on a 302 and it embarrassed the stock heads on an engine dyno and chassis dyno. The cam is key, which most people get way wrong.

Many people grabbed the "small ports make TQ" BS and ran with it, who knows why. Its stupid. Look at the ports in the LS, and you will see why so many of those engines are swapped into Fox bodies.
you know exactly which cam to put in. the almighty B303!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

This video shows how the smaller intakes are better in the low range. It’s about matching components. I’m trying to produce more without losing the bottom end. OBD1 is limited in stock form. Want to keep it simple and daily drivable.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts