Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently rebuilding my 99 explorer motor and am about to send my heads into the machine shop to get checked out. I have heard it's a good idea to get new valve springs and possibly roller rockers? What is everyones opinions on that? I am also looking for a good street/autocross CAM for the motor, hoping for 275-300hp. I've heard B303 or E303, but then I've also heard that they are really outdated. I'd rather not get custom because of budget concerns.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Go for the win.....B303 all the way to victory lane.

Outdated because every cam is modeled after it. Companies try to improve on perfection and they just can't. That why its still around and still seems to fit every ####### engine build. The haters are kicking themselves in the ass that they didn't go with the b303 first instead of blowing all their money on the flavor of the month.

depending on what gearing you running, E303 is a close second...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Anderson N-412 or a TFS stage 1 would not be bad choices, I haven't seen anything bad said about those cams.

·
Old timer
6,170 Posts
I am currently rebuilding my 99 explorer motor and am about to send my heads into the machine shop to get checked out. I have heard it's a good idea to get new valve springs and possibly roller rockers? What is everyones opinions on that? I am also looking for a good street/autocross CAM for the motor, hoping for 275-300hp. I've heard B303 or E303, but then I've also heard that they are really outdated. I'd rather not get custom because of budget concerns.

Thanks
There's an age old saying....

"Why is it there is never enough money to do it right but always enough money to do it over"

Open track and auto cross applications need a reliable, stout valvetrain so the typical cheap valve spring packages will eventually disappoint. Buy a quality American made valve spring package, even if you have to pay your machine shop extra to install them.

Same for the single pattern, slow ramp camshafts you mentioned. The eighties are long gone and time to join the 21st century.

You say this is a budget build, then spend "wisely" because short cuts always end up costing more.

;)

Reactions: BOTTLEDUP

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have P heads E cam and Explorer intake on my 88 LX and am pretty happy with it. Pulls even and well to 6000, don't normally take it higher than that. As mentioned don't skimp on valve springs, several track days and usually driven hard over three years no problems.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Thanks
Hey.
I have done a lot of research with the GT40P heads as at one point I was going that direction and agree with Ed. The ford cams are not bad but older tech. The best advice I got was get a cam that favors the exhaust as that's where these heads lack. So money for good valve springs and decent cam would be ideal. Just my opinion off what I have read.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had P heads with an E303 cam and I had the cobra rockers(from crane) and I used bigger valves(I think 1.94/1.59) and bigger springs(make sure they dont bind). Explorer intake intake and TB+EGR spacer. Light porting and knock off the thermactor bump on the exhaust side.

Get an electric fan and underdrive pulleys and youll be happy with the build.

I used this combo for my DD and for autocross

And it passed smog in CA :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a B 303, gt40p heads, roller rockers and lifters yada, yada installed 15 years ago in my '93 GT. Never any issues and it runs nice!

·
Registered
162 Posts
On a budget I would run a came like a Comp XE270HR-14 or a Lunati Voodoo 20350711. Invest money into a good spring package, I use the Lunati 73925K2 kit myself.

·
Registered
303 Posts
B303 is a waste of time. I swapped the stock cam for a B303. RWHP/tq before was 272/310 after was 276/306. Only other difference was I had changed tire wheel combo to a set that was about 5-6lbs heavier with the B303 dyno.

Get a custom cam. Its not that much more and better than wasting the money on a letter cam.

·
Registered
199 Posts
What if I told you ...you could get a custom ground cam for the same money or LESS than one of the alphabet cams?!
PM me.
6sally6

1 - 12 of 12 Posts