Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have an 87 coupe with a 308 some kind of Aftermarket forged pistons. Edlebrock performer intake 52lbs injectors 340 pump an -8 feed line an-6 return ..and pro m efi system and pro m blow through 80mm mass air 75mm edle tb .gt 40 3 bar heads and a percision 7678 76mm turbo .a comp cam xe 274 cam .im trying to get the most out of this combo. I bought the car this way and trying to get it up and running .I have added some of these parts .like the pro m efi system my main question is what kind of power will I be making how much boost on the safe side .should I go ahead and get some better heads if so recommendations? Better cam like a blower cam or what cam would be best .Trans is a pa c4 full manual reverse valvebody 3600 stall converter ..plz help ..im sure I left out some info .any questions just ask

·
Registered
488 Posts
To start, a blower camshaft & turbo camshaft will have completely different specs. Installing a custom cam will help in many ways.

What is the primary use of the car?

What fuel are you using?

What is your budget?

The block will be the limiting factor so I would not go and spend money on a good set of heads. A broken connecting rod & you will quickly have a set of junk cylinder heads.

That combination as it sits will split that block right in half with ease, so the question you should be asking is how can I have safe & reliable fun with this stock block?

I had a similar setup but it was a blow through carburetor with a BWS475 on a stock shortblock, twisted wedge heads & E cam. With 10psi it went 10.20s @ 130mph, into the 9s with 12 psi & split the block when the boost controller decided 19psi was a good idea.

What are you using for boost control? (not sure if the Pro-M offers that).

I would keep what you have, tune it on 10 psi & have fun with it while you build something with a good block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would get those iron heads T.F. outta there, grab some nice Trick flows, ditch the 340, go 525 with a wiring kit and get it on E85.

That will help max out the setup and widen your tuning window.

Probably need to keep it under 10-12 psi 5500 rpm. That 76mm is gonna want a new Dart block.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Not much on that combo is "ideal". That being said, stock block build so just have fun, it's still gonna make enough power to trash lots of parts.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I would get those iron heads T.F. outta there, grab some nice Trick flows, ditch the 340, go 525 with a wiring kit and get it on E85.

Probably need to keep it under 10-12 psi 5500 rpm. That 76mm is gonna want a new Dart block.
that's a great idea as the pro m makes e85 easy to install.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuel is going to be 93 .maybe something a little higher for strip purposes. I want to have something fun and a little wild on the street. And a have. A contender @ the strip .as for as a budget goes I have 3 kids lol ..I just want to get it running and I'm trying to make sure these parts can live for a little while with a safe tune and still have a lot of fun

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Guys are getting 500rwhp out of bolt on On3 kits using the stock engine from pan to intake. It takes around 13psi off boost to do so.

If you are looking to drive the car on the street; I suspect it won't be very fun with that large of a turbo. You will also need the largest tranny cooler that you can find with an electric fan mounted to it for street driving. Of course; I'm in Arizona so I'm always thinking of heat.

·
Registered
1965 fastback 347 hci v3-si @10 psi Pro M efi. Tko600 3:55
218 Posts
I have a extra 1500 to spend im trying to figure out where it would best be spent @
I vote:
Pair of nice drag radials (specially since you have an automatic ) and the pro m boost controler

Is your pro m system new?

If it is then really look into the boost controler.
Then you have the free fun stuff that comes with the new system
-Two step rev limiter
-traction control (that works with the boost controler)
-Launch control
you can’t use the
-No lift shift (auto rev match) which keeps you in boost during shifts) but your in for a treat if you haven’t used these features yet though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You might need to get the “supplemental wire harness” upgrade which will update your old harness and take advantage of all the newest features,

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,042 Posts
Ok guys I have an 87 coupe with a 308 some kind of Aftermarket forged pistons. Edlebrock performer intake 52lbs injectors 340 pump an -8 feed line an-6 return ..and pro m efi system and pro m blow through 80mm mass air 75mm edle tb .gt 40 3 bar heads and a percision 7678 76mm turbo .a comp cam xe 274 cam .im trying to get the most out of this combo. I bought the car this way and trying to get it up and running .I have added some of these parts .like the pro m efi system my main question is what kind of power will I be making how much boost on the safe side .should I go ahead and get some better heads if so recommendations? Better cam like a blower cam or what cam would be best .Trans is a pa c4 full manual reverse valvebody 3600 stall converter ..plz help ..im sure I left out some info .any questions just ask
get the car running first
then make changes depending on your budget and time

what size exhaust housing is on that turbo
if you don't know read up on exhaust housings

personally i'd get an EGT setup once i get it running

but again get it running first

·
Registered
8,042 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
that's not true
Well...take that up with Richard Holdener.

BUT, Of course a custom cam, built for each situation should make more power.

-point was - op’s cam has proven record of working great with turbo applications.
Remember, The op has stock block and a set budget.

And I agree ...get it running first then figure out what you actually need.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Well...take that up with Richard Holdener.
you're the one regurgitating him, not me :)

frankly at low boost say 10# it makes no difference what cam you run in a turbo setup (i'm generalizing here), unless you seriously mismatch it, say cam for 400ci engine in 302ci

after that it starts to matter and may not see it in drive-ability or even power but will see it in elevated EGTs

Reactions: Foot Hill

·
Registered
6 Posts

I disagree about he iron heads. Until you know what his power goal is, you can make 500whp on stock 302 with iron heads. I ran World Products Sr iron heads on a stock short block, with a Kennebell SC at 10psi (no intercooler), and one of their "tuned" chips. I beat on that car engine 100 degree heat. No issues. The conservative tune is what probably kept it alive. Sure aluminum will reduce the heat in a cyl, but much can be done with iron heads.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I disagree about he iron heads. Until you know what his power goal is, you can make 500whp on stock 302 with iron heads. I ran World Products Sr iron heads on a stock short block, with a Kennebell SC at 10psi (no intercooler), and one of their "tuned" chips. I beat on that car engine 100 degree heat. No issues. The conservative tune is what probably kept it alive. Sure aluminum will reduce the heat in a cyl, but much can be done with iron heads.
How thick are the decks on the World heads?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts