Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I'm selling my 1988 Mustang GT to get a newer car. I'm trying to decide wether getting a cobra over a GT is worth the extra $$$. The GT will be at least a '99 because from what I've seen 96-98 mustangs are slow when compared to my 88 GT.
My question is will a '97-'99+ cobra out accelerate/handle a GT enough for the extra cash. I found a few '97-'98 cobras with 300+RWHP, for my budget. Should I just get a newer GT and take the power loss or is the extra money for the cobra worth it.

The car will see the drag strip 2-3 times a month. Please help me decide.

-John

·
Registered
44 Posts
99+ GT's are real strong performers. With minor bolt ons and gears many average mid 13's in the 1/4 mile. Do a search, and you will see 96-98 cobra's running about the same 1/4 miles times, but have a leg up on mph. There are N/A 96-98 cobras and 99+ GT's in the 12's. If you like the new bodystyle get a GT, and buy the proven MODS. If you like the older bodystyle, get the cobra and enjoy the high rpm DOHC. Both cars are fun, so you really cant go wrong. GOod luck:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'll go with the cobra than. Is the IRS really that bad for the strip? I heard that it has wheel hop that will rattle your teeth out.

What type of mods would the cobra need to get low 13s?

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,941 Posts
Take Cobra. Do exhaust work. Get manly gears. Get drag radials. Very close to (and usually are) a 12.9 second car. Have fun.

Edit: If you want a '99+ Cobra, you can always find someone to trade the IRS vs. a '99+ GT rear so I wouldn't worry about that.

The way I see it is that you see Cobras running about the same times as GTs alot--but that just means the GT is 'properly' modded and the Cobra is not.

-Pat

p.s. I've seen enough Cobras that can't run better than a 9.0 that it makes me want to first :barf: and then :hammer: the owner.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Before making your decision, do yourself a favor and check out the difference in insurance.

I was in the same boat a couple years ago. The insurance on a 97-98 Cobra was going to be more than a thousand bucks a year than a brand new 99 GT would have been. That gave a butt load more money to mod the thing....less money for the car means more money to make it go.

I've been running 14.0's with the crapiest street tires at a crappy track, but I have yet to lose to any Cobra I've run with.

Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey :p
I don't have to worry about insurance, I'm still under my parents policy :), until I'm 23 or out of college which is in four years :p, so I get it nice and cheap :).
I've decided its definately got to be a cobra, unless I find the "right" GT. I got to drive a '98 Cobra and the owner din't mind if I ran the car hard, he car was a lot faster than my 88 GT, and it only had 3.73s and a cold air kit. To much he was asking way to much for the car.
Yellowman98: How much would it cost to have a Soild rear installed, would I make money of the IRS because I'm assuming the IRS is way more expensive than a soild rear. If so, would the profit I made cover installation plus a couple minor mods?

LS1s LikeMyTailights: I wish I could use Nitrous but my parents forbid it. My dad knows someone who got in a collison who sprayed and when he got out of the car about 5 seconds later it blew up. So they are all worried about me, I tried to let them allow me to use it on my '88 but they said they'd take my car away, plus i prefer having my power all the time.

So to get a low 13/High 12 Cobra I basically need gears(4.10s?), Headers/X-pipe/Exhaust, and some drag radials? Can I launch at low RPM or do I have to do one of those 5K clutch drops the can kill the car?

Thanx
John

PS: I drove a 1998 M3 and almost bought it :p. Thank god my g/f yelled at me and said I'd be regretful afterwards.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,941 Posts
Ruffrider said:
Hey :p
Yellowman98: How much would it cost to have a Soild rear installed, would I make money of the IRS because I'm assuming the IRS is way more expensive than a soild rear. If so, would the profit I made cover installation plus a couple minor mods?

So to get a low 13/High 12 Cobra I basically need gears(4.10s?), Headers/X-pipe/Exhaust, and some drag radials? Can I launch at low RPM or do I have to do one of those 5K clutch drops the can kill the car?

Thanx
John
If you don't do the IRS/live axle swap yourself, you should make about enough to break even with labor--but I'm not positive. If you do it yourself (depending on the kind of deal you get) you'll probably have enough left over for some long-tubes + H-pipe, or something of that nature.

If you're going to stay N/A with the Cobra, 4.30s+ are the gear of choice. You will have to launch pretty high, but on D/Rs you'll be slipping the clutch out instead of dropping it. I think you'll probably launch in the neighborhood of 4500-5000. Or you could always launch at fewer RPMs and just run as good of a time. :)

-Pat

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey
I found a 96 Saleen w/ 33k miles on it. I really want the car so bad but I dont want to get an unreliable car. Please tell me what to look for and listen to on a 4.6L motor. I post the mods it has below. I don't wanna end up with a POS :(

"It's #215, or 96-0215, it has a Vortech on it, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, Monaco racing seats, a roll cage in the
back, MSD ignition, and I just put in a tri-ax shifter yesterday"

"The only options that came from Saleen were the fiberglass hood, 3:55 rear gears, and factory Ford leather"

The other stuff was put on after it was bought. I copy and pasted this stuff from his letter.

Please Help
Thanx
John

·
Registered
43 Posts
Umm, I am going to say COBRA! Duh- but I am biased. Check my mods, I am in the high 12's.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ill post them when he sends them to me.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
TroyV said:

I've been running 14.0's with the crapiest street tires at a crappy track, but I have yet to lose to any Cobra I've run with.
I'm thinking those Cobra owners can't drive, like myself:D ...

Personally, I'd go with the Cobra...there's just a lot more potential there than with the 2v 99+ GT's...You can get a bolt on GT to run with a stock cobra, but then again, if you bolt on some stuff to the Cobra you'll be in the low 13's or even high 12's with proper traction(which I don't have yet) The extra 1000RPM's you get with the Cobra are a lot of fun too...

·
Registered
39 Posts
LS1s LikeMyTailights said:
I say get a NEWER MUSTANGT GT ... slap on a 100hp of NOS and you will be going mid-high 12's :evil:

2002 GT
:joy: *stock until end of month* :joy:
A 100 shot of NAWWWWWWS will not get you into mid-12's.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
You can't go wrong either way IMO. Shop around and find a deal so that you have some cash for mods. Good luck whatever you decide. Later Ron

1 - 16 of 16 Posts