Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 GT (i bought new). I put Cobra brakes on the front and had my GT rotors turned and new pads\with stainless hoses to put on my wifes 95 6 cy lx. Today I started the swap and the rotors and callipers are the very same thing and the 15 in wheels fit over them. I bought 17 in Cobra wheels so they would fit over the GT brakes????? WHATS UP????

Cal

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
The base V6 Mustang and the GT have the same brakes from '94 to current. Only the Cobra requires 17" wheels to clear the 13" rotors. BTW, your wife's V6 Mustang isn't an LX. They quit making those in '93.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The 16 inch wheels were for the "base" model GT. Cloth interior, roll up windows (some in that year), and hardly any options. The other reason for the 16 inch wheels was to put a little less profile of tire on it, to make it handle better than the V6.
The brakes were identical.
If you wanted to keep the 15 inch wheels on her car (?), and get better performing brakes, Disc Brakes R Us has new 2000 on up 11 inch replacement sets for about 400. Don't quote me on that price, as I haven't looked at the website in a while, but the brakes are new PBR (factory) two piston calipers, 11 inch rotors, pads and braided lines.
If you really wanted to change the rims (i.e. 17's), I purchased my cobra kit (everything needed, even powdercoated) for just over 500.
:joy:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts