Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a pair of unequal length 1-5/8 shorties and a MAC 2.5" H-pipe w/cats about 2 weeks ago on my 94 GT automatic. What I noticed after the install is that I lost the "seat of the pants" feel when I mashed the pedal (torque?)and it doesn't accelerate as fast as it used to before with the stock headers and 4-cat factory H-pipe. I've given it 2 weeks thinking that the car's computer needed to re-configure itself to the new parts after dis-connecting the battery,but my car feels as slow and sluggish as ever? I decided to swap in my stock 4 cat pipe in today just to see what would happen, and low and behold, my acceleration increased and I felt it re-gain some torque........

Do I need a chip or some kind of adjustment to gain the full potential of the new headers and H-pipe?

My current mods are:
-Fender Mount Cold Air
-65mm FMS TB
-Cobra Intake
-Underdrive Pulleys
-1-5/8 unequal headers(recent)
-MAC 2-1/2" H-pipe w/high flow cats(recent)
-Dynomax 2-1/2" Ultraflo Cat-Back
-3.55's

·
Registered
606 Posts
No back Pressure

"cats" create back pressure which aids in torque production. You've removed that and the fact that you have an automatic really doesn't help much at all. The off road h-pipe willl make a diference at higher rpm.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Get some 4.10's. That'll take care of the low end torque problem :cool:

·
Registered
204 Posts
The decreased backpressure will hurt you in the low-rpm range but helps in the upper. Agreed, the automatic may hurt, but try shifting manually. You might be able to feel a difference in the upper rpm band. Otherwise take it to the track or use a g-tech and see if anything's changed.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
its not exactally the decreased backpressure thats hurting low-end torque.. its the lack of scavenging with unequal length shorty headers. (the more backpressure did aid a TINY bit in making low end torque.)

(at least that's how its been explained to me.)

·
Registered
476 Posts
What's your timing set at? My car felt pretty sluggish down low and I found out my timing was at about 6 degrees:( Bumped it up to the factory 10 and the low end improved a lot. Another thing to look at would be the fuel pressure, exhaust changes can sometimes alter the A/F ratio and low end responsivness can be found in that area to.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
MrGreen94GT said:
What's your timing set at? My car felt pretty sluggish down low and I found out my timing was at about 6 degrees:( Bumped it up to the factory 10 and the low end improved a lot. Another thing to look at would be the fuel pressure, exhaust changes can sometimes alter the A/F ratio and low end responsivness can be found in that area to.

Timing is at a factory 10 degrees.So would my A/F ratio chage with the addition of a bigger exhaust?I have the stock regulator,would an aftermarket adjustable help me out?

Mr.Green94GT,did you lose low end with the offroad pipe? How's your torque and acceleration your current combo?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Don't mean to brag, but I have pretty much the same exhaust set-up and my car screams with stock gears and heads. I can click of 14.3 on the G-tech all day long. My timing is at 14 degrees instead of 10 and I have equal length headers. Maybe your butt is lying to you!!!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do I need to do to raise my timing to 14 degrees? I want better performance out of my combo of parts.

·
Registered
412 Posts
You need to move the distributor. Talk to your mechanic he can show you how to do it. If I was you I would aslo look into a MAF 75mm or so. Your getting the exhaust out now give it more air!!!!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Insley95 said:
You need to move the distributor. Talk to your mechanic he can show you how to do it. If I was you I would aslo look into a MAF 75mm or so. Your getting the exhaust out now give it more air!!!!
ALRIGHT!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sorry I took so long to respond, got a little busy. I noticed a little bit of a loss but it got better when I installed the MAC CAI. The low end torque is what really surprised me after the intake and header installation. I got in the car expecting it to be real soft on the low end but when I hit the gas it ripped away like a MOFO:eek: . It actually pulls better at around 1,000 rpm now than it did stock. So I'm impressed with the Performer!

·
Registered
73 Posts
btw .. if you want to sell the hi-flow h ... email me ... [email protected] ... ill buy it off you

·
Registered
59 Posts
Please don't remove the distributer to change your timing, all you do is losen the bolt and turn it. Make sure you unplug the timing chip below the air box though, but don't just guess yourself, if you really don't know, let someone else do it. And if you go to 14* you better run 93 all the time.

Sell your H pipe to NC95fiveoh so I can put it on for him next weekend, lol. Off to the Winston now.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Save your money and get a supercharger and be done with it. Im breaking in my rebuild right now without the blower(I have to rebuild it) and its nothing like the old blower motor was. Even with the addition of the GT40P heads, TFS intake, 75mm TB, and added compression. When I drive it and take it up to 4,000 rpms, it seems like eternity compared to when I had the blower on. I still have a few bugs to work out on this motor before the blower goes back on but for christ sake man....bet a blower!!! Become a born again speed freak!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts