Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I was helping my brother install a new gt engine and I noticed as I was helping install the intake manifold, that it doesn’t have an inlet for an intake temp sensor? I’m referring to the one besides the thermostat. The engine came off of an 03 with 25k original miles and I was there when he picked it up and the wiring harness was completely intact and everything so I’m not sure if I’m missing something here or what. I haven’t been in the gt engine game for several years now so I don’t remember but I recall the 2v’s had a sensor or the aluminum part of the manifold if I’m not mistaken. I have provided a picture for reference. Sorry for bad quality but it was all I could take at the moment.

Any input or help would be greatly appreciated since it would suck to spend a couple hundred dollars on a new manifold, I rather tap an insert for the sensor if I have to instead

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It does also have a sensor on one of the heads that I was able to locate. This might be the engine coolant temp if I’m not mistaken. I have attached a picture as well. Will there be an issue if we end up trying to run the car as is with the wiring harness provided? Or would we have to makeshift something for us to run the new coolant sensor if we have to make it ourselves?

Attachments

·
Registered
22,373 Posts
IAT WILL BE IN THE MAF HOUSING

the sensor in the head is the cylinder head temp

the ecm is programmed to have these in a specific location

makeshifting is not an option, do it like ford intended and you will not have issues

·
Registered
144 Posts
No. IAT is not in the MAF with stock setup. It's a separate sensor in the inlet tubing on a SOHC modular.

I believe the OP means to say that the 03 GT intake manifold is missing a bung for a second engine coolant temp sensor. 96-98 had two sensors and 99+ had only one. If this is a pre 99 car, the OP will have two sensors and only one bung to put them in. If you can, you should drill and tap the coolant crossover tube to install the second sensor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry I didn’t mean IAT, I know those are in the intake tube. The sensor i believe was actually called engine coolant temp. The manifold doesn’t have one to begin with in the front on the aluminum crossover.

The car is a newedge so I know it has one. It has 2 sensors in The Valley which I found out is the knock sensor and cylinder head BOTH of which aren’t used on 2v new edges, seems to me like the mustang this was pulled out of already had a different swap in it?

I don’t mind tapping and making the engine coolant temp sensor location I’m just wondering how I would incorporate it into the harness. I have also attached an image of one with the sensor in place for 99-04 mustangs. Sorry about the confusion.

If I can’t integrate it into the harness I might just purchase one from eBay or such that has it already.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes, your pic shows a 99+ engine coolant temp sensor in the correct location.

What's the harness that's in this car? If the car is a New Edge it should already have the connection for the sensor in it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, your pic shows a 99+ engine coolant temp sensor in the correct location.

What's the harness that's in this car? If the car is a New Edge it should already have the connection for the sensor in it.

Well my brothers car has a different harness in it from another project we had done so it doesn’t have the original gt harness that came with it.

That’s why when we went to pick up the engine we wanted to make sure it came with the harness so it can be essentially plug n play but it seems like it isn’t. I’ll double check the harness tonight when I get home and lay it out and compare it to where everything should go to see if it has the coolant sensor. If not I can just go ahead and maybe have him a get another harness off a gt or something and we can tap the manifold for the sensor

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
Never seen a crossover filled in like that before... Drill and tap it like everyone who PI swaps a NPI car has to do. Harbor freight sells the correct NPT tap set for like $8.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts