Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be able to get a good deal on a set of GT-40P heads and I was told that some longtubes headers will work. Well I dont know exactly what brand of longtubes I have on my car because they were installed when I got them and the previous owner doesnt know either. They have a 1 peice flange and on the stock heads a couple of the spark plugs are very hard to get off because of the headers. What are the chances that my unknown longtubes will be a direct fit with the P heads (with no or little spark plug clearance problems)?

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Do the headers appear like they were coated/painted? If so they are MAC. If they are chrome/blued then they are BBK.

Many have said the newer MAC LT's fit the P heads but I am still waiting to find out for sure myself.

·
Registered
85 Posts
sskiller did you have to clearance your pistons, by the way i love
Winchester, going 50, though you gotta watch those tiny signs!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
cldelaud- no I didnt have to touch my pistons, but I have a DSS shorblock with Probe Pro Lite flat tops.....they have some pretty big valve reliefs. But even with a stock short block you should have no problems, as the GT40 P's are OEM heads and have smaller valves than a regular GT40 head.

Where are you at in WV? I lived there for years before moving here, I was in the Martinsburg area.

·
Registered
85 Posts
sskiller i am pretty far away, in preston co. 10 miles from md, deep creek lake, wisp etc in Terra Alta WV i am going to post a thread on long tubes that will work on p heads, ccm is too expensive.

86 5.0 sdn,98 SHO ,honda 919

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Yea, I've been to Deep Creek lake before, nice country out there.
The winters are a little rough up there though.....

Good luck with the stang, If I get some headers I'll post if they work or not...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a set of mac headers (shortys) on my other stang and they didnt have a 1 piece flange. SO the longtubes have a 1 piece flange?

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have heard that BOTH the 1-5/8" and 1-3/4" BBK LT's will work, with the use of 90* plug boots.

I'll be going with the 1-3/4" BBK's on my P-headed 347...

·
Registered
677 Posts
My MAC longtubes don't have the one piece flanges. I wish they did....the individual flanges were a PITA to line up after I clearanced the headers around the bellhousing. One tube ended up being warped over an inch out of place. Wouldn't have been a problem with one piece flanges.

-Mike

·
Registered
677 Posts
I hope the MACs work with the GT-40Ps because my new engine has them and I really don't want to buy new headers too. Guess I'll have to try using the 90 deg plug boots.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
The 90 degree boots work awesome, just get the wires from a chevy, most of them used 90 boots to clear the headers as well. Thats all I did and they work fine. Just gotta figure out how to get the plugs out without having to take my headers off.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts