Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just rebuilt my 8.8 rear end on my 2000 mustang gt after noticing an oil leak from the pinion seal. Went ahead and put 3.73 gears in from the stock 3.27s. Replaced all the bearings and used the original shims from the stock gears. Backlash was set properly. Put everything back together and took it for a drive. Am now experiencing a high pitched grinding/whirring sound when in gear and coasting. If I give any gas the sound stops but the second I let off the gas, the noise is back. The noise doesn't seem to occur when in neutral or clutch is depressed.

Should also add that I also installed an aluminum driveshaft. It was rubbing on the muffler when the car was raised but when the rear end was raised with the car, it did stop rubbing. It is a possibility that the driveshaft was rubbing the muffler while driving but looking for other inputs.

·
Registered
411 Posts
For the driveshaft, crawl underneath and see the witness marks. Take a sharpie and color the spots. Go for a drive, and check again. If the sharpie is gone, it's still rubbing.

For the gears, reusing all the shims does not work all the time. Backlash may be OK, but not necessarily pinion depth. Did you go with a new crush sleeve or did you switch to a solid pinion spacer? If you put a load on the rear end, and the noise goes away, chances are the problem is probably there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about that, don't know why I never tried it haha.

As for the pinion, we went with a crush sleeve but I do have another one in case we have to redo it. Though I don't think we did go back and check on the pinion depth after getting the shim installed. Should note that there was a lot of play as if it wasn't seated very well, didn't think it was normal but we'll see. Thanks for the advice bassman97, will likely take it all back apart and check that depth as well as backlash once more. Definitely not looking forward to it but need my car running right again.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I thought about that, don't know why I never tried it haha.

As for the pinion, we went with a crush sleeve but I do have another one in case we have to redo it. Though I don't think we did go back and check on the pinion depth after getting the shim installed. Should note that there was a lot of play as if it wasn't seated very well, didn't think it was normal but we'll see. Thanks for the advice bassman97, will likely take it all back apart and check that depth as well as backlash once more. Definitely not looking forward to it but need my car running right again.
Sometimes you get lucky, and all the shims stay the same. Sometimes not. When I did the Dana 44 in my truck, I think I changed shim stacks at least 5 times before everything was right. Thank God it was the drop-out 3rd member style.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts