Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever messed around with any products made by Griggs Racing. I hardly ever hear of them, furthermore I'v never seen anyone using any of their stuff. Its always the same cookie cutter parts. Maximum Motorsports, QA1, Team Z, AJE, etc. Im not saying those are bad products by any means, but their still using technology that is over 15 years old.

Im starting a long term (2-3 year) project on my 89GT with a coyote swap and am seriously considering purchasig one of their SLA frot suspension kits with the double wishbone setup. I think it's time to modernize my 28 year old baby a bit.

Here is the link to what I'm looking at
Griggs Racing Products

Well, tell me what you think. I value the thoughts of this community more so than any other Mustang site on the net. Thanks

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
You need to post this in the road racing/auto-x section.

Griggs is one of the oldest companies but they aren't known for their customer service or timely feedback. You may want to look at Agent 47's SLA.

Do you have ideas about sorting out the rear suspension?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Griggs and Maximum are THE names in "proper" Mustang suspension systems.

I went with the full boogies Maximum Motorsports kit when re-doing the suspension on my 1993 GT, mainly because of simplicity and cost. If your planning on road racing competitively, then the SLA Griggs setup would be ideal. Or if you are planning on deleting the strut towers to make more space for that Coyote motor. Otherwise it will be money blown.

I went with the forward offset control arms on my car and other than some fender clearance issues (now cleared up with the MM write up on how to modify the fenders) everything went on easy enough.

What brakes are on the car right now? What are your plans? Heck, a "road and track" box from MM is more than enough to "modernize" the suspension on your Fox and still have money left over for other goodies.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
An SLA is a hardcore setup and the cost could only be justified if you were trying to make money with the car.
Other than that, lots of success with standard MM products and your wallet won't take suck a big hit.
The quality of parts over the last 30 years has changed, but the technology of design is still used on new cars today.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

Its a lot of fun!

Notice how my front wheel was pushed into the front fender area. Its since been remedied. I'm currently not running a rear sway bar but not sure if thats how it'll stay or if im going to go with MM's adjustable rear bar. I didnt have much issue with the flowmaster tail pipes fitting but to drop some more weight I may end up going with dumps shortly.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Griggs has been around forever it seems. Great stuff.

Also, I would certainly not call Maximum Motorsports "cookie cutter" products. UUC, sure. But not MM.

You want modern? How about this. 1987-89 Mustang Maximum Grip Box

As tested in the 1/15 issue of MM&FF. One suspension. 1.39 60' times at the strip, 1.06g at the track. That's getting it done.

·
Registered
24,595 Posts
I have the entire gr-40 setup,,,,,,SLA will be in the future....haven't raced in a long time though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys. I considered the Maximum Motorsports route for months and they just don't impress me that much or add the aspect of performance I'm looking for. They do make some quality parts though.

On another note; I'm building this car in such a manner that no one will walk up to me and say "Hey I have that exact setup". And not to sound like an overly pompous phalli, but by the grace of God and education, money is not an issue right now.

SLA systems are not expensive just for the point of being expensive, it offers exponential benefits over the ancient McPherson setup, and I'm willing to pay for that quality of performance. And to reiterate I want modern cutting edge technology in the shell of an 89GT.

Iv been reading alot of people are having problems keeping in contact with Griggs for support. For instance I NEED to know how my Coyote will sit in the bay with the SLA in place, numerous voicemails and Emails have received no responses. Im also looking into the Agent 47 setup, but again multiple variables need to be worked out before that commitment is made.

My next issue is building the IRS. Anyone ever deal with Full Tilt Boogie?

Thanks yall:salute:

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I still don't understand what you are trying to achieve.

Do you have any data showing that a Griggs SLA equipped car out performs a MM equipped car. I am not necessarily challenging you, I am just curious if there is support for your "cutting edge" technology statement.
I could see spending the money if it actually out performs the other, but if the difference ends up being driver dependent I would pass and put the money elsewhere where we know the technology has improved.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as breaks I haven't gotten that far in my plan yet. I'm going to be using the hydroboost system with the Coyote so I imagine that I have some options. If I had to make a decision today I would just go with the 04 Cobra setup, but their is going to be upgrades in the future, most likely its going to be Brembo or a Bear setup I'v been researching that really looks superior.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm tiring to achieve something unique that outperforms any McPherson setup by leaps and bounds. Plane and simple. If it's evidence you want compare cars running McPherson with a car running a double wishbone. Times have changed my friend, you wouldn't use an IBM from 1995 just because it still works would you. There is always something better out there.

Also and more importantly, it's just what I want to do.:salute:

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
My next issue is building the IRS. Anyone ever deal with Full Tilt Boogie?

Thanks yall:salute:
You'll find plenty of info about the company and from the owner Bruce over on SVTPerformance.com. FTBR makes quality products but the install is more involved than the MM kit (again, if we're talking about building an IRS here, not any SLA-style setup) so be prepared for that. They use Delrin in all the positions and MM uses poly for the IRS subframe mounts and delrin elsewhere, and you will find PLENTY of info from people that have used both and said the FTBR was too rough, just right, that Delrin shouldn't be used in the subframe mounts, there are tons of opinions.

If you are going with an IRS setup then obviously try for an 03/04 setup, followed up a 01, then finally a 99. If you use a 99 or 01, make sure you get a 03/04 front diff brace or an aftermarket one made by Kenny Brown or others. On any IRS you will want to get a diff cover brace, especially if you are doing anything with slicks or you'll hear some loud crashing and see this under your car (not my car, but it looked just like it):

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well Im buying a complete 04 Cobra IRS off an old friend and also picked up a new Torsen t2r. I think that's my best option after I build it up with all the Full Tilt Boogie goodies.

Thanks for the advice

And WTF happened to that diff to scatter it like that?

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
When you get wheelhop it puts stresses on the diff cover face, because the rear mount of the diff is mounted on it. In fact the site that I linked that pic from is BilletFlow: Home of Premium Billet Pulleys, Throttle Bodies and Accessories and was the original IRS cover brace but they are made by at least Steeda, maybe others, but Billetflow is still cheaper (moneywise, still great quality and is what I have on mine).

Whenever my stock trak-lok goes out I plan on getting a Torsen, as heat buildup is bad enough for the diff but using clutch packs makes it even worse. Anyway, what made you go with the 2R vs the 4R? I'm not close to doing it yet but still curious as I know they make both.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im kind of set on the 2r because its native to that IRS as well as the 4.0 torque bias. I my be wrong but the 4r is more native to offrod and 4wd pplications, but agin this may not be the case. To tell you the truth I really don't know as much as I should about diffs, lockers, all the clutches and stuff involved.

I rode in my neighbors car who I'm modeling my IRS build off of and he had the T2R in his car and man when that thing went around corners, fast, it was downright frightening because I was so used to my fox just breaking loose.

I should probably do more research on the diff before any moves are made, If you were in my situation putting an IRS into a tail happy fox what would you recommend? (Pretend everything is free and money was never created)

Thanks for your input, maybe ill give Eaton a call today and see what they have to offer.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I'm tiring to achieve something unique that outperforms any McPherson setup by leaps and bounds. Plane and simple. If it's evidence you want compare cars running McPherson with a car running a double wishbone. Times have changed my friend, you wouldn't use an IBM from 1995 just because it still works would you. There is always something better out there.

Also and more importantly, it's just what I want to do.:salute:
If you want to spends lots of money to be different, then by all means go for it.

I am still interested in seeing performance differences from cars racing in the same class. If the SLA was leaps and bounds better I would imagine that you would not see any mcpherson setups at the racetracks.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
If you want to spends lots of money to be different, then by all means go for it.

I am still interested in seeing performance differences from cars racing in the same class. If the SLA was leaps and bounds better I would imagine that you would not see any mcpherson setups at the racetracks.
Agree, that's just silly.

Some of the best driving cars money can buy off the showroom floor (BMW & Porsche come to mind) use MacPherson strut setups.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right, and their also AWD and not three decades old. And as far as me spending loads of money to be different, yea that's what I'm going to do. Sorry if that bothers you. You think you guys would be supportive of a community member tiring something different, but all I get is hypothetical "what if" logic. If its evidence you want, use that thing called Google and find it yourself. Or just go for a ride in a SLA car, I bet your tone would change real quick.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Don't make conflicting statements if you want more support.
We are definitely pro you blowing money, so go for it.

Just don't make the argument that you are doing it to be leaps and bounds better then everything else. You made the claim, not us and Google does not support your claims.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts