Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such thing as a "4 core" for our models? I went down to a speed shop to check out a griffin radiator and I must say that the thing was HUGE (direct fit 94/5). We measured 2.25" core thickness & the sale guys (hehe) said it was "really a 4 core" (2 core w/2 large tubes in add'l).

Anyone using a griffin w/the stock fan and have NO clearance issues? I think if I cut the electric fan shroud it should fit w/the S/C crank on it too. Otherwise, I'll be getting a fluidyne as talking to their tech concluded my fan would move 3/8-1/2" (which should fit w/o cutting the plastic). I have a aftermarket overflow cylinder so that not much of an issue. Car hit 225^ today in traffic :(

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Griffin doesn't make a 4 core. Both their rads are two core. The standard unit has 1" dual rows, the HD unit has 1.25" dual row.

Don't worry about it not being a 4 core, it's a very good design and will work great.

Furthermore, the Griffin is a much higher quality piece than the Fluidyne IMO. I ran a Griffin dual 1.25" HD rad in my '93 Coupe for 5+ years with NO problems at all.

A friend of mine is working a Group Purchase for the SN-95 5.0 Griffin, email me at [email protected] for more info.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I agree, Griffin is an outstanding radiator.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, I did look @ Griffin's site, it's a 2 core...The one I saw at the store was the HD for 94/5's (1.25" tubes), and looked very nice, but I don't think it will fit w/o modification of my fan housing or getting a new fan. Fluidyne tech measured their radiator would be .12" shorter than the Griffin, so that makes the Fluidyne more attractive. Also, since the griffin was $110 more, I can use the money saved for a "thin" fan later if I really need one in the event the fluidyne hits too--
Counter point..I really like having the larger rows of the Griffin since the car is setup more for road-race than strip. Luckily, I have a week to think about this as I'll be out of town and not overheating the engine.

Sean you got mail... :)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Keep in mind that several Corral Members have had their Fluidyne rads leak within the first year. To me that means subpar quality.

The big Griffin should work in a SN-95....I actually had a SN-95 elec fan in my 93 Coupe with the big Griffin (I think it was 2.75" thick) and everything cleared, but it was tight. The SN95 water pump is a bit shorter than the fox body, so I think it would clear. However, the dual 1" row is fine for most apps, that the one I plan on going with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts