Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is somthing i have thought about for the last couple of years but never put into action. my details are vague but i know they sell rice sized micro chips that are used to find lost pets. i guess they just put them under the skin between the shoulder blades of pets. this got me thinking what if i could put this in my car???? like a cheap lojack. i have heard of people putting a spare cell phone with GPS function in the car, what about this? does anyone have this one their pets? can you access the pets location at any time?

like many of you i am not satisfied with all of the non lethal, passive theft devices, but until they invent somthing that sprays nerve gas on would be car thefts it seems like the recovery option is best. just a thought.

gentlmen, what say ye?

·
Registered
162 Posts
So here is somthing i have thought about for the last couple of years but never put into action. my details are vague but i know they sell rice sized micro chips that are used to find lost pets. i guess they just put them under the skin between the shoulder blades of pets. this got me thinking what if i could put this in my car???? like a cheap lojack. i have heard of people putting a spare cell phone with GPS function in the car, what about this? does anyone have this one their pets? can you access the pets location at any time?

like many of you i am not satisfied with all of the non lethal, passive theft devices, but until they invent somthing that sprays nerve gas on would be car thefts it seems like the recovery option is best. just a thought.

gentlmen, what say ye?
Most of the pet locators I've seen are much bigger. Like Zoombak. Reviews are mixed as to whether these things work.

Another issue is whether you actually want a stolen car back or would rather have the insurance money and not be worried about what was done to it while 'away'.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know theives usually joy ride or strip cars, but seeing as my car is about 70% aftermarket i fear the insurance $ would barely touch it.

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Hmmm... Im not sure what "Pet" chip youre thinking of but the one my dog has is more of an electronic I.D. and not a locator...

·
Registered
553 Posts
The "home again" micro chips are just read only chips. They register a number when scanner is passed over them. They then have to match the number to your info, if you registered it that is.

Something I have come across is the GPS devices we install in used cars for financing approval(low credit). It also contains an ignition interupt. When activated, it will not allow the vehicle to restart after it is shut off.
I will try and get the name of the manufacturer if I can remember. from what I heard, anybody can buy one and pay the subscription fee to access the GPS function, but Im not sure if they can disable the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that would be great. i guess i thought the pet chip was a gps thing too.

LMK.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Something I have come across is the GPS devices we install in used cars for financing approval(low credit). It also contains an ignition interupt. When activated, it will not allow the vehicle to restart after it is shut off.
So you sell used cars to people with the ability to track them, and disable their vehicle?!?! Are the customers aware of this? Sounds like a good idea for a repo man, but it also seems like it would violate some privacy laws, unless its a rental.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
privacy laws??? what about the contractual obligation to pay for it!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
So you sell used cars to people with the ability to track them, and disable their vehicle?!?! Are the customers aware of this? Sounds like a good idea for a repo man, but it also seems like it would violate some privacy laws, unless its a rental.
It doesn't violate anything. If some low life with bad credit chooses not to pay for the vehicle, the vehicle will not start. Some may have tracking devices, some may not. If a buy here/pay here auto sales place is willing to let you drive their car off the lot with bad credit it's only fair for them to know where the vehicle is and be able to "disable" it if you choose not to pay. If the customer doesn't like the rules maybe he/she shouldn't have gotten bad credit to begin with...pretty simple IMO.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this would be my cheap alternative to lojack. i have read in the past that people will "add a line" to their cell provider,get the phone, have GPS on the phone, hard wire a car charger to the phone and always leave it on. this is all hidden of course. i see this as a cheap option, not sure how well it would work???

anyone know how much lojack costs? i looked all over there site and i couldn't find it.

this sounds sci-fi, but what about a homing device? i imagine somthing could be powered from the car (using very little juice) and somthing else could be made to follow that signal....a transponder? (no country for old men?)

I am thinking baout this because i just ot done with a 408 swap, i have less then 10K in the car, but probably 2k HOURS into it. I have been told that when you do a swap like this you need to get it appraised so the insurance will give you the correct amount.....i have no idea how this works, but i love the idea of ME being able to go and retrive my car if the worst case happened. (then it woulr REALLY be like "no country for old men") :evilgrin:

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Well my 93 Cobra is all stock. I have it insured with Grundy. I said it was worth 15K, provided pictures, and they agreed. They are rules to follow, but if I come home tomorrow, the garage door is up, and my cobra is gone, they will be cutting me a check for 15K.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
i know theives usually joy ride or strip cars, but seeing as my car is about 70% aftermarket i fear the insurance $ would barely touch it.
What you want is a "declared value" policy. Don't know why but my policy premium went down slightly with a $20k declared value.

·
Registered
553 Posts
The GPS device is not used to "track" the vehicle at all times. It is simply used to locate the vehicle and disable it in the event the loan is not paid.
The customer signs a paper that says they are aware their vehicle has such a device.
These type of loans are actually very succesful at helping poeple with bad credit get a vehicle and clean up thier credit. The pay back rate on these loans is over 98%. Very good considering the risk.
They sometimes call us asking us to fix their car because they just bought it and it wont start......:rolleyes:

·
Corral Charter Member
11,387 Posts
The last price I paid for a LoJack install was roughly on the high side of $500... IMO, the system is well worth it - and it's also a good selling point, as it is transferrable to the new owner (they just need to call LoJack and have the info transferred into their name and the unit stays active). The only fee is the initial fee the first person pays for the unit & install job, the only other "maintenance" after that is having LoJack check it once every other year to make sure the unit is still sending out a strong signal. Their recovery rate is roughly 95% and many Police Dept's have the LoJack tracker in some of their vehicles...

All you do is call the Police, report your VIN stating you have LoJack and they activate the tracker to hunt down the vehicle...

The latest LoJack device has a keyfob that will also alert the owner if the vehicle is tampered with or has been started.... neat feature. They also offer a complete recovery/alarm system package now too. If you need the complete package w/ alarm it's a good deal. If you already have an alarm system, all you need is the basic recovery package.

Most shops that install audio systems, or most car dealers have a Contract w/ LoJack. LoJack is the only authorized agent that can install their systems, so the stuff is not installed by your local audio wizard or Jobber at the Dealer lot... They also will not allow anyone near the vehicle when the system is being installed, including the owner of said vehicle. The system can be installed in a day.

I will also say this - if you have LoJack installed, depending on your State's Insurance Discount laws, some States will allow the maximum comprehensive discount of 25%, that's a good savings for many folks... That cost savings alone pays for the first year of owning the LoJack system. NJ is one State that offers the max 25% discount if the vehicle is equipped with LoJack.... Check your State laws (in fact, I think LoJack even lists what States and their corresponding discounts on their site somewhere).

It's worth it and a piece of mind IMO...

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
great info. thanks!

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
They also will not allow anyone near the vehicle when the system is being installed, including the owner of said vehicle. The system can be installed in a day.
I don't like that though. Its my car, I want to know where its at. Hell, first thing I would do when I got home was start looking. :lol:

I did see a police show based in jersey and they chased down a couple lo-jacked cars. They got an alert, and via the cop cars computer screen, it was like a GPS taking someone to destination. They found it parked outside some ghetto looking apartment complex. The ignition was messed up, but the viper truck was fine.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
good point. at this point i have redone my full ignition system, and all wiring. so i imagine they would have to ask me where things were to hook it up.

i have built in enough security that no one will be driving it off. kill switches, etc... but it can always be towed. thats my concern.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts