Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedo has never worked in my car even after new cable and sender ect. Was looking to upgrade to a Florida 5.0 cluster
with a GPS speedo.

My question is, how dose the factory cruise control work? If i eliminate the factory speedo/cable ect will i loose the factory
cruise control function?

·
Registered
758 Posts
You'll need to feed the cruise a compatible VSS signal from the GPS module to make it work.

Call Florida 5.0 and ask if the GPS module they are including/providing will have a compatible output that can feed both the speedo and the cruise. If it's an Autometer, it may not have 2 outputs as the only one I've seen from them has a single output. The Autometer may be able to run two devices (speedo and cruise) but they will have to be at the same resolution/pulse rate or PPM (PPM=Pulse Per Mile). Consider that the higher the number of pulses per mile, the more accurate the signal will be to the speedo. But, the factory cruise will likely require one that is a lot lower. For example the speedo may work great with a 250k pule rate where the cruise can only handle like a 4k rate.

If you need or can supply your own GPS module consider using one that has multiple outputs like the Dakota Digital GPS-50-2.

If what FL5.0 is providing can only feed the speedo, a fix should be easily accomplished by using a SGI-5E from Dakota Digital which will give you multiple VSS signal outputs from a single signal.

It would suck to have to buy 2 parts (one GPS sender from FL5.0 and then another box from someone else) to get the outputs you need instead of just getting it right the first time with one unit. I guess you'll have to see what they say about it.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Why does cruise care what a GPS speedo says? Just use the tranny output as if the mechanical speedo is not working. Should just engage at user detirmined setting.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why does cruise care what a GPS speedo says? Just use the tranny output as if the mechanical speedo is not working. Should just engage at user detirmined setting.
So just leave the cable unhooked and the stock VSS in the tranny?

·
Registered
758 Posts
So just leave the cable unhooked and the stock VSS in the tranny?
I'd remove the cable. You could leave the stock "sender" piece in the trans or put a plug in there like below. There are also billet ones available for like 30 bucks.

Indy brought up the SN VSS just now and that may be the best answer to run the cruise and plug the hole without worrying about having a second compatible output for it.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can tranny fluid leak out if the cable is not there? Ill have to look into the SN VSS..

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the part number for the plug, never would have known that existed.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
758 Posts
What year? i looked up 94 and 96 VSS and they look like they still have a speedo cable hole?
There is a plug/sealed cup deal in there. It's hard to see in that pic. You should be able to see it better in the second pic here from one for a '95. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=40867&cc=1134188&jsn=1000

If your stock one has wires on it and it's working the cruise now, I guess you could leave it installed and just remove the cable. It shouldn't leak if the cable is removed but there is a chance dirt/debris could build up in the hole where the cable would go. I think that may be one of the reasons why Indy recommended the SN style.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, currently its not working as i had to unhook it when i did my motor swap because of the taller valve covers. I plan to buy a different throttle cable mount from MC Machine
that will hopefully allow me to rehook the cruise cable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts