Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 quick questions.

1. What tranny would be good for my new ride? It currently has a FMX 3 speed tranny which works fine, but sucks for the highway. I need something that has more gears, will bolt right up, and will still perform well with a 500 RWHP car.

2. Who carries an extensive collection of parts for these cars? I find a few things sprinkled here and there, but haven't found a lot.

Thanks, Don

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have noticed that the major vendors do not list thier 71-73 parts on the web site.

if you get the catalogs its a little bit better.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Its a pretty tall order for a bolt on. You're investing the money for an engine of that caliber and wanting bolt-on capability of a modern automatic overdrive tranny. Its not going to happen as easy as you'd like.

The preferred way to go would be a built AOD by a reputable vendor. Remember about needing a new driveshaft, T/V cable and bracketry and proper flexplate for the engine combo. Not to mention a compatable shifter. A lot to think about for a bolt-on. You'll probably spend around $2000 to get everything you'll need to handle the power you want.

A manual trans conversion would be a tad easier and be around the same money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts