Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my car back from Exedy today. My car was used as a test car for their prototype clutch. It is a twin plate clutch that is strap driven and bolted to a chrome molly flywheel. The clutch discs are cerametallic sprung center. This clutch is rated to handle at at least 900hp.

The engage release is about 2 inches lower than stock so that is really taking some time getting used too. There is a nice spot right before it engages so that you can have some nice take offs. I only get a little chatter when taking off in first and downshifting into second. I'll probably be able to give you all my final verdict when the clutch is broke in, but it looks like Spec and King Cobra have some new competition on there hands.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ReallyRedCobra said:
but it looks like Spec and King Cobra have some new competition on there hands.
Not unless they're priced competitively

I was told that they'll sell for well over a $1000 with flywheel

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
COBRA90GT said:
Was this done at the one shop/company over in Belleville?
Yep.

Also I believe the flywheel and clutch are all 1 assembly. Thats how mine was at least. I'm not sure if they will sell them seperatly.

·
Registered
312 Posts
That flywheel has gotten to be too heavy, and Mcleod already has a twindisc clutch, for about $650.... That things holds a ton of power, its quiet, no chatter, its got a super soft feel, w/good engagement *can anyone tell I have 1* ? lol, anyway.... I'd like to see it if its for about $500

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to say it weighs around 11pds, but I can't find the doc. I know its not as light as aluminum though..

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well 11lbs is light enough thats for sure, but I don't think chromoly would be that light, the chromoly driveshaft is like 15lbs heavier than aluminum....Hmmm...Maybe the flywheel isn't all chromoly...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've put about 300 miles on it so far. Unfortunatly thats mostly highway miles, and some Southfield Freeway miles. I'm still trying to get used to the release point on it. Starting out in first gear is getting better. I've done some downshifting into 2nd and it grabs like a mofo and the car takes off. I definatly wasn't able to downshift into 2nd like this with the stock clutch. Wish I could explain it better.

I sent an email to a few of the guys about the weight of the flywheel but I haven't heard anything back. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is what I received about the flywheel.

"Regarding the weight of flywheel, Genuine flywheel is 22 Lb and our Chrome Molly
flywheel is 17 Lb (5 Lb less than Genuine).
Also Complete weight including flywheel, disc and cover for Genuine is 47 Lb and
ours is 37 Lb (10 Lb less than Genuine).
I think you are thinking about engine response to your acceleration, if so,
complete weight is more important than only flywheel."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts