Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get manual steering rack. I know the flaming river are quality pieces but the price is kinda high. How about factory steering rack from early 80's fox stang. Will it work with my 87 what do I need beside the rack
Thanx in advance
Paul

·
Registered
373 Posts
You can get a rack from autozone for a little over a hundred dollars. You also need a manual steering shaft from an early fox which is hard to find. An alternative is the flaming river adapter which is about 65 or 70 bucks if I remember correctly, or you can buy the shaft for $150. You also need manual tie rod ends($30). So unless you have access to some used parts it is going to cost a minimum of $220. I wrestled with this forever and finally got the FR for about $340 off Ebay brand new.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the information.
Paul

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You don't need different tie rod ends, the ones off the power rack will work fine. I think the only people so say you need different ones are the ones who've never tried it.

I got my manual rack for $115 from NAPA, spec'd it as for an '86 Mustang.

Toss in the shaft adapter for $65ish and you're set.

·
Registered
89 Posts
HMMM i might get some use out of that 79 behind my barn after all :D I was planning to go with a manual rack on the 89. I dont want any accessories slowing me down. a blower belt and one for the alternator, that's it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts