Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a procharger about 2 weeks ago and since then everyone has been bashing and going nuts about leaking oil. Can people please come in this thread and make me not feel sorry for buying it. Tell me some good things about the blower. Like maybe stories of how great your procharger is and it's lasted for like years trouble free.

thanks

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
husun said:
I ordered a procharger about 2 weeks ago and since then everyone has been bashing and going nuts about leaking oil.
Not to piss on your parade, but there have been problems with prochargers for a lot longer than two weeks, more like several years now.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hopefully Keith Foster can chime in here - he has a pretty objective view of ProChargers in that he installs all brands. As far as me, Ive had no P1SC related issues for over a year now. The seals issue was supposedly fix - or so I thought, but LotsaSpray's just went south on him, so who knows. Ive been told by installers that they were blowing when people overfilled them. Apparently thats their achilles heal.

peace

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
True, mine went south. :rolleyes:
But I highly doubt it was due to over filling because I actually only put one tube in it. :confused: I don't know why it happened but it did. :(
I can't believe that every P1SC is bad, it's just that they do still have some issues. I wouldn't worry too much about it until/if it actually happens. Don't get me wrong, the ProCharger was a good unit when it worked right. And it looked pretty good.
They just don't have good customer service that's all. My gripe was with the service I received, not just the blower itself.
I would still recommend getting a Vortech or Paxton, but that is primarilly because I feel that companies that treat thier customer's the way I was treated, don't desearve to do business.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The good news is that the total number of self contained units that leak is very small compared to the total number sold. The bad news is that the number of them that leak is still too high, especially considering how much time they have had to fix the problem completely. The good news is that ProChargers make bucket loads of HP on pump gas. The bad news is that you still may get a leaker.

I have had 3 ProChargers since 1993 and none of them leaked. They were not self contained units though and the problem seems to be with them.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I went from a NOVI 1K to a ProCharger D1 and so far I am VERY pleased with the swap. The install instructions, brackets, and hardware are all top notch. The intercoolers are amazing and the boost comes on nice and quick!

I had a few tech questions for ProCharger and so I dropped them e-mails, I had a reply within 1 hour! The belt in my kit was a little too long and so I needed a shorter one. I simply e-mailed the tech and I had one the next morning.

I have dealt with alot of companies over the years and I can safely say I have not experienced e-mail support like ProCharger. Most companies make you call them (98% not toll free) and then you get bounced around from person to person.

The internet is always the same - you can have 100 happy customers they will not post a thing. You have 1 or 2 unhappy users and all hell brakes loose. As John mentioned the # of leaking units is low - take your time, follow the instructions, and most importantly ask questions if you need help.

You will not regret your order!

Ian

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
John91coupe said:
The good news is that the total number of self contained units that leak is very small compared to the total number sold. The bad news is that the number of them that leak is still too high, especially considering how much time they have had to fix the problem completely. The good news is that ProChargers make bucket loads of HP on pump gas. The bad news is that you still may get a leaker.

I have had 3 ProChargers since 1993 and none of them leaked. They were not self contained units though and the problem seems to be with them.
Very well said John, I agree with what you are saying 100%
I loved the power my ProCharger made and the intercooler was awsome, I just had a very bad experience with the service I received from people very high up in the company. :(
Ususally you go to the high guys to get the better service, I just got insulted. :livid:
But that does not in any way, mean that you made a bad decision. Who knows you may have nothing but good things to say about ATI by the time you are done. ;)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
John91coupe said:

John, I thought I read on here a couple years back that when you put one of your new combos together with a new blower that it leaked as soon as you put it on?

Maybe it wasn't you, but they(whoever it was) took it off and procharger fixed it and it has been problem free. Regardless, it was fixed promptly by ATI.

·
Registered
135 Posts
94, i have one that needs replaced. did you just have to remove the pully, pull the seal and tap a new one in? i would prefer to replace my own rather than send it in.
thanks
tim

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
94cobra2615 said:
John, I thought I read on here a couple years back that when you put one of your new combos together with a new blower that it leaked as soon as you put it on?

Maybe it wasn't you, but they(whoever it was) took it off and procharger fixed it and it has been problem free. Regardless, it was fixed promptly by ATI.
My problem turned out to be my own with a kinked return line and oil backing up into the housing. Yep, I screw things up once in a while. I replaced the ATI line with some -10 line and a right angle fitting at the pan and everything was fine.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
lotsaspray,

I'm sure you will be more than happy with your Vortech. I think whenever anyone like yourself has as much trouble as you did that they should move on to a different manufacturer. It's the best all around solution.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Timh--

Yep, I heated up the pulley with a propane torch for about 5-10 seconds and the pulley came right off (this was as per ATI tech). Then I carefully pulled the seal out, tapped in the new one and it was good as new. It saved a lot of time, and ATI actually suggested I do it myself since the blower was out of warranty.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
John91coupe said:
My problem turned out to be my own with a kinked return line and oil backing up into the housing.
I think this happened to me one time. I sent it in and ATI fixed it under warranty even though I THINK it was my fault, so props to ATI on that one. It happened when I first installed it too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a P600 hooked up to my 347. Getting the "running" kinks out of the system is the most difficult thing to do. I sent the blower back to ATi, they put new seals in it and did a once over on the blower. Best $300. I've spent on the car.
My only complaint about them is sitting on hold for 30-40 minutes trying to get through....on my quarter. You'd think they'd have a
f-ing 800 number.
Good luck, Rick

·
Registered
433 Posts
Go here to see some pictures of the worst fitting ProCharger ever designed:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=327245

ATI says all of those are the correct brackets and that is the way the blower is supposed to fit. I was told that the hood clearance problem was because of my aftermarket 3" cowl hood and that I should replace it with the stock hood so that it would fit.

I had to cut out the entire drivers side fender well to get it to fit. Those are old pictures and don't show how much more had to be cut. The coil and starter solenoid had be relocated to make room. I had to cut several inches out of my hood just to get it to shut. More will have to be cut to drive the car around with the hood latched. The supplied belt wouldn't fit over the pulley. The crank and blower pulley were wayyy out of alignment. The discharge tube was compressed almost in half by the sway bar mounts. The blower was wedged up against the power steering pump to the point I thought it was actually going to break the plastic filler off the top. I ended up fixing some of these problems by paying for different spacers on the brackets.

I also have a VERY low opinion of the tech/customer service. If I could go back I would have bought a different brand.

Chad

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Chad,

In spite of what ATI said about the brackets being correct I still say they are the wrong ones. I have see a couple of D series blowers in Fox bodies but have never seen one that fits like yours. That being said, I can't imagine how an ATI tech guy would say that fit is correct after seeing your photo's. There is no excuse for bad tech like that.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chad wtf? I asked for positives in this thread. I'v already seen your posts about the blower not fitting. Others thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i just installed a p600B with 3 core horizontal mount intercooler on my car back in late march. On a stock motor with 1.7 rockers, full exhaust, gears, msd6al, elect fan I went from a [email protected] to a [email protected] just by adding the ATI, a bigger fuel pump and injectors, and a 75mm MAF. Now I wasnt expecting that much of a power increase and let me tell you, I love the procharger. I makes amazing power and I just love the way it sounds. I have no problems with the belts falling off or seals or anything like that and I bought this kit used! The only thing I dislike about it is the intercooler sits pretty low and the discharge tube is pressed into the sway bar mount a little. I think you'll be happy with the ATI and the fact that its intercooled is even that much better!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts