Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
You go to the stealership just for oil filters? My presence at the Ford parts counter indicates surrender and desperation.

All the local parts chains here carry them. If not Motorcraft, then usually Purolator, Mobil, Bosch, Wix. Walmart too. Of course there's always a Fram PH8A on the shelf, but Frams are bright orange for same reason venomous and poisonous animals are orange: so you can avoid them without getting close.
Worked for Fram back in 1993...

Filter media was top shelf back in those days.

Then Billy BJ KKKlinton and NAFTA came around.

Scrapped all the equipment that made the media. Sent the assembly machinery to Mexico and Canada.

Explains a lot!

Scrapped all the equipment that made the media. Sent the assembly machinery to Mexico and Canada.

Explains a lot!
What's the quote from the movie Armageddon?

"Couldn't read the plans right and did a piss-poor job of putting it together. "

I’ve never understood the Fram hate. My dad and gpa ran them on motors to 300k+ miles. I ran them on my 5.0 back in the day to 200k+. I like the motor craft now a days on my mustang, mainly b/c I’ve spent too much time reading on forums.

Explains a lot!
WTH? Always bringing politics into threads. :rolleyes:

Same issue here but with FL300.

parts stores don't have them. Ford don't have them. Nobody has them. Nobody wants to get them. So, about January of every year, I'll order a half dozen or so, takes a couple weeks but they last me a year, or a little more.

FL1A is on the shelf at any parts store here. Oddly enough the filter for my old 7.3 is also on every parts store shelf. I only use one of those a year though. Don't drive the truck much as long as the car is running.

I actually thought about mentioning the FL-300 since I have a 2.3T and the filter vanished from shelves a long time ago, but the aftermarket still has it decently covered. For the sake of trivia, it's not just a 2.3T filter and was used on the SSP 5.0HO as well.

I’ve never understood the Fram hate. My dad and gpa ran them on motors to 300k+ miles. I ran them on my 5.0 back in the day to 200k+. I like the motor craft now a days on my mustang, mainly b/c I’ve spent too much time reading on forums.
The Fram hp filters are of good quality, actually superior to most filters on the parts store shelf. The lesser Fram varieties I’m not so sure about

Because the $10 Fram filter was functionally identical to the $4 Motorcraft filter, whereas the $4 Fram filter was a liability to put on the engine. At least that's why I'm not a fan.

i would just go with the Napa Gold if you are worried about convenience, there very good filters. not sure if your Walmart sells Motorcraft like the Walmart in states does. my Advance Auto also does if you have those, they pretty much own Carquest so i would think Carquest could get them. otherwise Puralotor is what i used is Motorcraft not an option.

honestly tho ive gotten soo bad about using cheap oil filters and clearance oil on my vehicles lately. with my comercial account with Advance, i buy the cheap individual bulk Carquest filters. there like $1.60 each my cost. im sure quality is terrible but i change it pretty frequent. also there was a time that Mobile Super 5000 10w-30 was on clearance only $0.43 a quart, normally 6$ a quart so i bought 150 quarts till no more was avalible in the state. Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 10w30 was also on clearence for about $0.98 a quart, normally $10 a quart. only managed to get about 40 quarts of that which i use in engines i care more about.

i would just go with the Napa Gold if you are worried about convenience, there very good filters. not sure if your Walmart sells Motorcraft like the Walmart in states does. my Advance Auto also does if you have those, they pretty much own Carquest so i would think Carquest could get them. otherwise Puralotor is what i used is Motorcraft not an option.

honestly tho ive gotten soo bad about using cheap oil filters and clearance oil on my vehicles lately. with my comercial account with Advance, i buy the cheap individual bulk Carquest filters. there like $1.60 each my cost. im sure quality is terrible but i change it pretty frequent. also there was a time that Mobile Super 5000 10w-30 was on clearance only $0.43 a quart, normally 6$ a quart so i bought 150 quarts till no more was avalible in the state. Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 10w30 was also on clearence for about $0.98 a quart, normally $10 a quart. only managed to get about 40 quarts of that which i use in engines i care more about.
I’ve used those $1.60 car quest filters (business account as well) and they’re actually great quality if you cut them open.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.