Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I read the announcement at the top of the forum and see that Corral is having a dyno day at Springfield Motorsports this Saturday. This is the perfect opportunity for me to test the spout out method on the dyno.

I'm going to dyno two different times so I can get three pulls for each method. I'm going to pull the spout and lock the distributor at 30 and have the BTM pull back the timing to a safe level while I'm on the dyno. Then I'm going to lock the base timing at 14 and put the spout in for the next three pulls and use the BTM to tune yet again.

I'm going to scan both dyno sheets and post them once I'm done.

Henry

·
Formerly BLOWN1989SALEEN
5,755 Posts
very interested in these results, please post as soon as you dyno

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jeostang said:
What time are you going?
Hey James,
I left you a message at home. I'm going to go at 9AM. It's first come first serve and I want to get 2 sessions in. I'm gonna get 3 pulls with the spout and 3 pulls without and see what kind of numbers I pull up.

I'll call you tonight.

Henry

·
Registered
607 Posts
cool man that will be interesting. i too just saw the dyno day post and ill definetly be there. i live like 5 minutes away, couldnt believe my eyes wheni read where it was!
anyways if they'll let me-(im only gonna pay for i session) i wanna run with the stock 93 cobra computer then put in my gt's A9L com. to see what that does. later guys see you there!
bryan

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, this Saturday.

Henry

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Big Red Jim said:
Henry, when you get dyno'd, could you make special note of what your FP is at idle and during your runs? Thanks.
I'll make sure to keep an eye on it tomorrow. When I'm on the street, my FP is at 41 and my car idles at 800. I set the FP at 50 w/o vacuum. Since the dyno guy will be operating the throttle, I'll be able to look and get a better reading. When I hit 10 psi at 6000 rpms, I'm around 60 psi but I'll make sure to verify that tomorrow on the dyno.

Henry

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
There are more than just Hp for using the spout out. Part throttle ping is a big user too. Its a cheap easy fix for those who don't want to do a chip.

but, either way, I like the aproach, hope it works for you.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
302man said:
There are more than just Hp for using the spout out. Part throttle ping is a big user too. Its a cheap easy fix for those who don't want to do a chip.

but, either way, I like the aproach, hope it works for you.
I totally agree. I noticed better driveability, no part throttle ping and surge, and more smoothness when I pulled the spout and locked the timing at 28. It felt like I lost some power down low and I'm not sure if I'm confusing the smoothness with power loss so I'm going to use the dyno to check. My butt-o-meter could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I just came back from the dyno. I did two pulls with 30 degrees locked with the spout out and my BTM at .75. I made 10 psi of boost on the dyno so that left me with a total timing of 22.5 at WOT. I tested the BTM earlier with a pump and it was spot on.

The two runs with the spout out were 391.2 rwhp and 412.5 rwtq and the backup run was 392.9 rwhp and 414.0 rwtq.

The next two pulls were with the spout in and the timing at 14 degrees. The BTM was still at .75 so with 16 degrees of advance, I would be at a total timing of 30 at WOT and the BTM would still pull 7.5 and that would leave me with 22.5 again.

These two runs with the spout in were 389.7 rwhp and 408.0 rwtq and the backup run was 390.0 rwhp and 409.9 rwtq.

Heres something that crept in at the dyno. With the spout in, the car ran .5 richer on average throughout the RPM range. I was at a good A/F ratio but when the spout was put on, the car got richer.

All 4 curves (2 spout in, 2 spout out) were smooth and equal throughout the rev range. The area under the curve was exact.

302Man was right. I drove to the dyno with the spout out and the car had better manners on the way there. On the way back, I put the spout in and the bucking and tip in detonation returned.

I can say that running with the spout out would let me run more timing and more power since I wouldn't have to fight the tip in detonation and the bucking and surging. With the spout in, I had to turn the BTM to 1 versus .5 if I keep the spout out. Spout out would let me run more timing, make more power, and be safer since I would have to worry about the detonation.

I will post pictures of the dyno sheet and a breakout of the runs later on tonight.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts