Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has a complete part list for everything that I will need to do this conversion.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Just did it, parts list:

1 mass air conversion kit (got mine from Holcomb- $50)

1 mass air computer (I got a A9M from a 89 convert/5 sp.)

about 3-4 hours of free time, a soldering gun or iron, a couple screw drivers and a clothes hanger( to pull the wire thru the firewall).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Shifter nailed it, I used an A9L computer and i got my conversion harnes(4 wires and some connectors) from ebay "buy it now" for 29.99 with free shipping. Dont forget the coat hanger either.

Dave

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am wondering if this conversion and the directions found at the above link will work for my SD 1987 Crown Vic 5.0?

the reason I ask is the CV engine has the intake on th driver side as opposed to the passenger side. I read on another BBS that using a computer from a Passenger side Air intake engine will fry the Driver side harness/components.
Is this true?

Currently I have the CV engine in my Jeep and only run the CV engine harness to the critical sensors/components.

Always wanting more power!

Mark

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
Big_MARK said:
I am wondering if this conversion and the directions found at the above link will work for my SD 1987 Crown Vic 5.0?

the reason I ask is the CV engine has the intake on th driver side as opposed to the passenger side. I read on another BBS that using a computer from a Passenger side Air intake engine will fry the Driver side harness/components.
Is this true?

Currently I have the CV engine in my Jeep and only run the CV engine harness to the critical sensors/components.

Always wanting more power!

Mark
It will but you need to change the firing order. The firing order on both motors is different. The CAM determines firing order and if you swap a computer from a Mustang (Only mass air 5.0s) your injectors will be timed to fire on the HO firing order and the cam will be opening the valves in the SO (standard output) firing order. You would need to swap a cam in first, rearrange the plug wires on the distributor and then do the mass air conversion and use the mustang computer.

Buyt to answer the intake question...just flip it around. The lower intake on the HO and SO 5.0's is the same. But the HO upper intake is larger. If you look at the back of the lower intake, there are two ports for the EGR coolant return line. This is so you can run the line for either passenger or drivers side facing intakes. You can flip it to the other side without any harm, but you might want to pick up a HO upper, EGR and larger TB on ebay or something first.

BUT,

Not sure if this applies to Standard output 5.0's....but the 87-88 Mustangs with the High Output 5.0 run Speed Density and it's well known that stock for stock, they make a bit more power than the mass air 89-93 Mustang 5.0's.

So unless you plan on going crazy with mods, speed density is ok for now. But if you want to get power, time to switch over to HO parts and configuration

·
Registered
10,938 Posts
Does he need to (can he) use the Mustang distrubutor or does the one he have use the skinny #1 PIP profile?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I guess I'll just leave it alone. I just finished puting it back together a couple of months ago after having it blueprinted and Balanced.
SO I suppose that will just have to do!

I'ts a huge improvement over my stock 258 I6 so I shouldn't be so power hungry but I'm sure you guys know how that goes!

thanks again

Mark

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey Big Mark, I see that used a 5.0 in your jeep, and I am in the middle of doing this swap myself on my '85 CJ. Any good advice? I am using a '96 Explorer 5.0 with a ford racing wiring harness.

thanks,

C

1 - 11 of 11 Posts