ouch!

what's the suspension setup on the car?
Upr front, coil overs Lakewood 70/30

Team z double adj lowers, relocation uppers
Upr anti roll. Stock cut springs. Viking dbl adj shocks

·
Formerly known as 20thAniv
1,275 Posts
That sucks to hear about the engine. Keep us updated on the progress, and about coming down for Bradenton though.

Reactions: danh9250

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Well you haven't been playing around lately. Congrats on hitting the 8's Dan. Car and craftsmanship is top notch.
Thank you sir!!! I worked really hard on it. Spent a lot of time building it how I wanted.
Time to build a new shortblock

·
Registered
410 Posts
dan sorry to hear about the engine. it's a real kick in the nuts when you get it running like it should and something like this happens. the way the big end looks, i'd say rod bolt, sucks either way. glad to hear you and the car were ok! short blocks are cheap compared to the alternative. good luck and hope to see ya in '18.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
dan sorry to hear about the engine. it's a real kick in the nuts when you get it running like it should and something like this happens. the way the big end looks, i'd say rod bolt, sucks either way. glad to hear you and the car were ok! short blocks are cheap compared to the alternative. good luck and hope to see ya in '18.
Yeah definitely sucks. Was hope big to do some upgrades over the winter, instead need to build a new shortblock. Positive note is im working on a sponsorship with a local engine builder so fingers crossed on that.
Hope to b out next year breaking records.

Reactions: 1quick95

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I have a brand new, in the box, CGI DART 9.2 Iron Eagle block machined by DART, lifter bushings installed, (4.180 rough bore, go to 4.185 and a 3.85 crank puts you at 424, 440 with a 4.0 crank), ready and waiting. $3000 ;)

Would handle that power easy. Did I already tell you that? ;)

Block Specs:
9.200 Deck
.937 Key-Way Lifter Bores
55mm Roller Bearing or 60mm Babbitt Bearing Cam Tunnel
4.180 Rough Bore ( Needs Final Hone )
2.750 Mains

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
I have a brand new, in the box, CGI DART 9.2 Iron Eagle block machined by DART, lifter bushings installed, (4.180 rough bore, go to 4.185 and a 3.85 crank puts you at 424, 440 with a 4.0 crank), ready and waiting. $3000 ;)

Would handle that power easy. Did I already tell you that? ;)

Block Specs:
9.200 Deck
.937 Key-Way Lifter Bores
55mm Roller Bearing or 60mm Babbitt Bearing Cam Tunnel
4.180 Rough Bore ( Needs Final Hone )
2.750 Mains
You told me about that. Would b a serious setup. I couldn't afford to build that motor. Plus my turbo kit is built around a 9.5 deck.

Maybe if u donate it :)

Reactions: ERStettin

·
Registered
1986 Mustang 5.0 5 speed coupe
1,200 Posts
Yeah i seen that on fb stick shift page. Car is definitely fast. But has a gm drivetrain, so in my book that would b a gm record.

Here is my best pass, 3300lb through tailpipes full interior with back seats. On a 26x10 Et drag
Congrats Dan on that timeslip brother!! There's more in your combo for sure and looks way more like a street car with the tail pipes!! Love your car my friend! About that white coupe with the LS, in his vids he's going thru the 8th in third gear so he must be running a tall gear. You think a taller gear would help your combo?

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Rear gear does not help much at all. I went from a 3.73:1 to a 4.10:1 gear and it had no impact on ET. It did quicken up my (the cars) reaction time though.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Rear gear does not help much at all. I went from a 3.73:1 to a 4.10:1 gear and it had no impact on ET. It did quicken up my (the cars) reaction time though.
I was thinking with Dan's car being turbocharged that turbo's like taller gearing to push against. I would think a 3.27 or 3.08 gear would help it accelerate quicker without spinning. Just a thought,i could be wrong..lol.

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
At this level, you gear the car to maximize RPM at the stripe. It does not matter if it is S/C, Turbo or NOS. Why leave usable power (rpm) on the table by not putting enough gear in it? Of course some of this is based on the power band of the engine. In my instance, peak torque/HP is a flat line from 6K through 8,400K rpm. So I could gear the car to cross the stripe at a lower rpm or higher rpm and it would not hurt performance. Since I run exclusively 1/8 mile, I geared the car to be at 7,800 rpm at the stripe. Why spin the engine to 8,400 if I don't have to? It is easier on the engine to keep the rpm's down some. If I were to run the 1/4 mile, I would put the 3.73:1 gears back in to get to that 7,800 rpm point. My 1/8 mile times did not change at all between the two gears. Right now, with the 4.10:1 gears I can run to about 900 feet to 8,200 rpm, lift off the throttle and coast to an 8.80 at around 115 mph. I only do that if there is no heads up 1/8 mile stuff around and I run the car in Super Pro. I put a 8.80 dial on the car and play "lift and coast". Lol. Hard to be consistent, but I did make it to the semi finals once doing that. Besides, my chassis is certified for 8.50 and I don't want to run it out the back end and blow through the chassis cert and get tossed. I know a bottom 8 is in the car, just can't let it happen. A good reason for running 1/8 mile stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
I was thinking with Dan's car being turbocharged that turbo's like taller gearing to push against. I would think a 3.27 or 3.08 gear would help it accelerate quicker without spinning. Just a thought,i could be wrong..lol.
IMO the lower gear will put a lot more load on the car and trans. Which could lead to transmission damage. I primarily do 1/4 mile race on 26x10 slick. I'm at 7500 at the stripe. Defanitly can't gear it steeper. Maybe on a 28".

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
IMO the lower gear will put a lot more load on the car and trans. Which could lead to transmission damage. I primarily do 1/4 mile race on 26x10 slick. I'm at 7500 at the stripe. Defanitly can't gear it steeper. Maybe on a 28".
I totally agree with you Dan about the extra load hurting parts. If you could match the 60ft ET of that LS coupe i think you could best his ET! I know in your vids your 1-2 shift happens stupid fast! Your not in first very long! I'm just thinking a 3.31 or 3.27 would help your 60ft plus lower your trap RPM. But a 28in tire would do the same thing. It be easier to test the taller tire to see if it wants a taller gear. Keep up the great work buddy!!!

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,261 Posts
hi dan
any update on the new shortblock and plans for this season?

not sure if you've seen the bremer sequential shifter for the T56 (S1 was the original company that made one although base is little bigger), but thought of your car when talking with a friend about this shifter and how these guys should do some testing on true stick turbo car like yours and see what its worth. the price is crazy for these things but would be great to see the benefits if any...

https://www.bremershifters.com

https://www.s1sequential.com/product/sequential-shifter-t56-gm/

paul

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 · (Edited)
hi dan
any update on the new shortblock and plans for this season?

not sure if you've seen the bremer sequential shifter for the T56 (S1 was the original company that made one although base is little bigger), but thought of your car when talking with a friend about this shifter and how these guys should do some testing on true stick turbo car like yours and see what its worth. the price is crazy for these things but would be great to see the benefits if any...

https://www.bremershifters.com

https://www.s1sequential.com/product/sequential-shifter-t56-gm/

paul
Hey Paul. Just got the new shortblock Monday. I was able to pick up a sponsor from [email protected] engines, which really helped out. Great guy to deal with.
I went with the same setup I had. Dart shp 427. Hope to have car up and running soon.

I did see that shifter setup. To me it seems it would work best on a faceplated trans. I’m also curious on this. They should send me one to try.

141 - 160 of 185 Posts