Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I looked under my car while idling and saw the left cat glowing red, WTF. Is this a bad sign and does it affect drivabilty?
I ask because lately my car has be hesitating at low speeds and don't know if this is the cause. My dad said it is very possible because back in his day he had to cut a bad converter off and put a straight pipe in and said the truck ran strong problem gone. Help my me out guys if bad might just get the bassani X.
By the way my h-pipe is a mac, nough said.:barf:

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
The cat conv is clogged.

I would just gut the converters and run it.No emissions in Fl,right?

You may get another 5-10 hp from this and 5-10 hp with the rocker theory maybe about 10-20 hp or so total,just with these two changes.

The cost is the same as the rockers $0 :evil:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought so. Fixed the surging timing was to advanced. Emissions, yes in NC. Might go with bassani or bbk X pipes. Have you heard anything about there cats good or bad?

·
Registered
160 Posts
UHHH, have you messed with the fuel pressure at all? Glowing cats is a sign the car is running real rich.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuel pressure is at 38# with 24lb injectors and 155lph pump.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I ask because lately my car has be hesitating at low speeds and don't know if this is the cause.
This is a sign of a clogged converter,the catalyst brick inside can partialy melt/clog,causing excessive backpressure.

I still think it is a bad cat,if your AF ratio was that whacked out,the headers would also be glowing.

How many miles are on the cats?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well, I'm pretty sure that Bassani uses Catco converters on their pipes.

I just bought some C&L cats for my off-road Bassani that I'm going to have installed today (Monday). I'll keep everyone up on how they perform and if they last.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
639 Posts
I agree that its a clogged cat converter. Where you running with your smog pump bypassed or not connected? Because this will cause the cats to fail prematurely.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, smog pump is hooked up always.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The smog pump being hooked up actually has no bearing on whether or not the cats will fail. All that the pump is there for, is to help lower emissions on cold start-up. After that, it becomes useless. I know of many people who have run cats without the air pump, and some have actually run cleaner without it. Most times the air tubes that run to the exhaust crossover from the pump itself are clogged with carbon anyways, making the whole pumping idea fruitless.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
palemarry said:
UHHH, have you messed with the fuel pressure at all? Glowing cats is a sign the car is running real rich.
hoe does running rich make the cat glow
:confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts