Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 GT convertible with Eibach Pro springs and Stang Suspension camber/caster plates. I have had a large problem with negative camber on the car (constantly wearing out the inside edge of the tires). We've tried adjusting the camber, but the best we can get is like -4.0 degrees. To my knowledge, the car has not been in a wreck (I've had it for 9 years and 100k+ miles). What could be wrong with the car to prevent me from leveling the tires better? The problem is on both sides.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
373 Posts
Control arms, tie rods, k-member.....etc You say you think its never been in a wreck, but have you ever hit a curb? Just maybe bent something out of wack. Might have dropped the car down too far? I would go ahead and look everywhere up front. I would also look at each side individually from the other as it may be different items causing the issue for each wheel.

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
How good are those CC plates you have? It is my opinion that CC plates should be either Max Motorsports or Steeda. Just about everything else is ass.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
are u sure its camber and caster you're talking about? -4 degrees of camber is a ridiculous amount of negative camber.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, pretty sure it is camber. The top of the wheel is in towards the car, causing it to ride on the inside edge of the tire. And, ya, -4.0 degrees is WAY too freakin much!

As for tie rods, control arms, etc, I JUST rebuilt the front end a week ago. New cobras and tie rods (inners and outers). It is equally bad on both sides, so if a previous owner had curbed it, it would only be bad on one side. The car has been out of whack for a very long time. Ever since I put the Eibachs on, it seems. It is just more noticeable now, for some reason. The tires have been wearing for a while. I had them swapped about three months ago and now the other edge is almost gone. The tires aren't that old. The center tread is almost new.

I don't know how good the Stang Suspension C/C plates are. They have to be better than stock. I had been asked if I could have installed them backwards. I can't see how, since there are only 3 holes and they only line up one way. The only other way I could have installed them is upside down (from within the strut tower).

M/C

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
edit: usually if you're wearing out the tires, it's because the TOE is wrong, or because the suspension won't hold the static toe setting because the bushings or tie rod ends are weak. Then the wear gets concentrated on the edge of the tire because of the camber. The camber is an aggravator, not the underlying problem, but 4 degrees of camber. That's a ridiculous amount, and yeah, that'll cause a problem. shorter control arms?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
The Stang Suspension CC plates are made by J&M are are well made pieces. You may want to try switching to the shorter Fox a-arms as a corrective measure, that'll bring the bottom of the wheel in.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Stang Suspension CC plates are made by J&M [and] are well made pieces. You may want to try switching to the shorter Fox a-arms as a corrective measure, that'll bring the bottom of the wheel in.
I had thought about trying that, but I just spend A LOT of money, time and effort in changing to 03/04 control arms. I was thinking there exists a small possibility that I installed the mid-plate in the CC plates either backwards (not likely) or upside down and on the wrong side (a maybe). I will try to take a look at that, though it won't be for a little while (read: a couple of weeks).

The more I think about the wear on the tire, the more I don't remember it being this bad until about two years ago (and more noticeably this year). I installed the CC plates a little more than two years ago. I had been taking the car to Firestone (since I have a lifetime alignment with them). I took it to my brother this last time so we can finish the cobra arm install (a final tweeking, settling and re-tightening of the arms). He was the one that was showing me how off it was. Firestone always said, "Ya we got it aligned".

Thanks for the reassurance that the Stang Suspension CC plates were good. They had always been a question mark in the back of my mind.

M/C

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Toe was spot on, as was caster. Camber was -3.9 on the driver and -4.1 on the passenger.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have the the MM plates which top plate can be installed backward to get more camber gain and will not allow less camber.

You need to take a picture of your camber plates and post it up here if you dont want to try changing them out.

You could loosen the lower strut 2 bolts and pull the spindle out and retighten that would give you little less camber on that side.

Toe has to be set right about (0 degrees) and caster (+6 degrees or more)for camber to to be right

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the the MM plates which top plate can be installed backward to get more camber gain and will not allow less camber.
That's what I began thinking this morning. Perhaps its the top plate or the mid-plate.

You need to take a picture of your camber plates and post it up here if you dont want to try changing them out.
I'll see what I can do tonight. I should have some pics of them before I put them on. I had a question about them and was going to contact Stang Suspension about them, but figured it out. I hope I can get a couple of minutes to snap some pics of them installed.

You could loosen the lower strut 2 bolts and pull the spindle out and retighten that would give you little less camber on that side.
Did that. That brought it from -4.3 to -3.9 on the driver's side.

Toe has to be set right about (0 degrees) and caster (+6 degrees or more) for camber to to be right
Don't recall what the values were, but the alignment machine was showing them both dead center on the acceptable range bars.

The more I think about it, the more I am convincing myself that I have the CC plates f-ed up. The car had started to get more miles on it at the beginning of this year, which is why suddenly its a noticeable problem. Last year, the driving was "normal" for the car and the previous two years was light-duty since my wife and I worked at the same place and took her car to work.

M/C

1 - 12 of 12 Posts