Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1987 GT
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know there are countless threads on this but just wanted to poll the recent crowd and get some feedback. I am DEATHLY afraid of cracking the paint. This is a 32k original mile Florida car with NICE paint and I am still debating whether to do this or not. I do have the Eastwood roller and a nice Dewalt heat gun.

Anyone want to talk me out of it or give some last minute advice I appreciate it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1987 GT
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The biggest thing I am not sure about is how hot to heat up the lip, HOT or warm....I do not want to end up melting the paint either!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I “rolled“ mine using a hammer and a tool I made up to bend the lip and no heat gun.It worked out fine,like posted earlier go slow,take your time.My cars paint stayed on but was a little beat up from the hammer so I touched it up afterwards.The paint touch ups were on the lip which was then folded inside where no one can see anyways.

·
Registered
292 Posts
After you attached the roller to the hub, adjust the pressure against the fender to where you feel its snug, but not so tight. I simply took my precious time and slowly rolled back and forth, adding more pressure while keeping it "warm" then repeat.

I was meticulous and added pressure sloooowly (after every roll) so i rolled it back and forth a good 50+ times. never had a spec of dmg to the paint going slow. just uhhhh ... make sure your wingman understands how to evenly spread heat without boiling the paint.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
292 Posts
let me also say that I was more worried of damaging paint with the heat gun than the roller so I went VERY conservative with the heat.. so conservative that It probably did very little to assist with the roll.

·
Registered
1987 GT
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
let me also say that I was more worried of damaging paint with the heat gun than the roller so I went VERY conservative with the heat.. so conservative that It probably did very little to assist with the roll.
This really helps! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I rolled the fenders on my 03 cobra at the time it probably had 27k miles.

Keeping steady heat will help prevent cracking the paint. I used a temp gun to verify how hot I was getting the paint. I tried keeping it around 115-125 degrees.

Definitely take your time. It took me over two hours per side.

I used a Eastwood roller. I pretty much rolled the passenger side flush. Zero cracks.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: 87363GT

·
Registered
1987 GT
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I rolled the fenders on my 03 cobra at the time it probably had 27k miles.

Keeping steady heat will help prevent cracking the paint. I used a temp gun to verify how hot I was getting the paint. I tried keeping it around 115-125 degrees.

Definitely take your time. It took me over two hours per side.

I used a Eastwood roller. I pretty much rolled the passenger side flush. Zero cracks.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
Awesome, thank you. My gun does have a temp setting so this is great to know the temp you used, thank you!

·
Registered
1987 GT
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay so I just finished the one side. Best advice was to go slow. I ended up using a little more heat though. I set the gun to 500 which was way higher that you recommended but I was keeping it a little farther away. I didn't have any issues with the heat harming the paint. I would heat it up uniformly and then run the roller around a few times. Then I would leave it on one side, heat the other side, roll it around, leave it on the other side, heat the opposite side and just repeated that over and over. I feel a lot better now about doing the other side and confidently saying like you guys said, just go slow and add heat. Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I did it on my '88. Had a paint job circa 2000 so not original paint. Despite heating it with a heat gun, and taking my time, it still ended up cracking the paint. I was able to touch it up and it doesn't look bad, but i regret doing it now.

I used the eastwood roller. Had no problem reselling it for almost what I paid when I was done.

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,218 Posts
The biggest thing I am not sure about is how hot to heat up the lip, HOT or warm....I do not want to end up melting the paint either!
if you can wait till summer that would be ideal. do it on the hottest possible day, leave the car in the sun, and then no need for heat gun.

(i used to rent the tool and then my buddy offered it as a service here locally and he always hated the nissan 350Zs)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts